Just bought 166 - couple of niggles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-03-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Just bought 166 - couple of niggles

Just bough a 166 2.0 TS 1999 78k miles, I was worried about the clutch but it looks like they are all heavy, so i will see how it goes.

The niggles that I could do with some advice are:

Central Locking doesn't work on plipper or key, the only way I can lock the car is buying using key on passenger door. The alarm works but the locks themselves just open then relock. The Driver side rear door does nothing (this seems pretty common)

Climate Control warning keeps popping up on the ECS, it says that there is a problem and that I should take it too a dealer, I was going to get it regassed and see if that clears the issue, but I would love to know if anyone else has done this.

Cheers, love the Alfa, and its great to be seen in especially knowing how expensive they look when its us guys who really know what we paid for them

Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: Just bought 166 - couple of niggles

Congrats on the car mate

Hope someone will come along soon to help!
AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase, enjoy!

Clutches tend to be heavy, more so on V6's. As long as you have no slip, crunching etc. then don't worry. Good exercise for your left leg!

Central locking could be an actuator problem or more simply a dodgy lock. Clean up all your locks and spray them and the barrels with WD40 to see if this helps. Good practice anyway. Locks and hinges should be lubricated at every service - Most do not bother!

ICS climate warning issue is apparantley pretty common and can be caused by a clogged pollen filter (reducing air flow) or a sticky flap. It is said that turn it off and back on is a way of getting rid of message!

Pollen filter change, see here - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...en-filter.html

Good luck

Gone but not forgotten - 164 3.0 12v - 156 1.8 SP1 - 164 3.0 24v - 156 SW 1.8 SP3 - 166 Super - 166 3.2 Ti - Brera SV JTDM - 156GTA - 147GTA - 147GTA - 156GTA - currently Alfaless
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

New drivers side rear door actuator fitted will be about £100. My passenger front went last year. Some DIY it but I can never seem to get the trim back just right when I touch it so now I don't bother!

As Dougie says , pollen filter best place to start, although it could be a multitude of things. i.e. AC re-gas.

Welcome to 166 ownership!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , bought , couple , niggles