Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Show us yer bike racks / roofs bars / etc

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Rich T 
#1 ·
OK. I ride mountain bikes a LOT. Most of the time I ride straight from home or take the wife's car. But for big trips it'd be much nicer to take the 166.

I know you can't QUITE get a bike in the boot - so what racks / roof bars work well for you lot?

Rich T

#3 ·
I managed to buy the proper Alfa roof rack with two cycle holders from an advert in Auto Italia. They were still boxed and I paid £130. To be honest they look great, but I think the Thule system would be a better bet, as the Alfa one isn't constructed that well and is a pain to put on and take off.

#6 ·
HALT! after a bit of fiddling this afternoon with a mate, I've found you CAN get a (full size full suspension) moutnain bike in the boot. Trick is to fold back the carpet so that the bars can stick in next to the spare wheel, with back of bike poking through the ski hatch. Works really well

#10 ·
You can get an mtb in the boot. Admittedly I dont have multichanger or sat nav taking up space above the battery and single crown forks but try this: Fold back rear edge of boot floor to reveal spare wheel, take off bike wheels and seat post, turn handlebars through 180 degrees, put bike into boot, rear mech first to the right, right handlebar (now left handle bar) should now drop into spare wheel next to spare wheel. Wheels and rest of your clobber sits on top.

#12 ·
I would not cram a bike into my boot! - Get my carpet dirty and oily! Maybe I am too pedantic?

I went for a cycle with my daughter today (cycle track at Balquhidder) so used my trusty old halfords bike rack. Easy to use and still leaves majority of the back window clear.

G
#16 ·
A proper biker wouldn't drive a saloon. Trade it in for a 147 :)

It was the main reason I traded in my old Bora - the bike would just about fit in the boot but it was a pain every weekend loading up bike, pads, spares and gear. The hatch on the 147 makes it so much easier.

By the way, what do you ride? I'm on a 2003 Specialized BigHit for downhilling and a Kona Muni Mula for XC riding. Off to the Alps for 12 days on Wednesday get some serious downhill action in with the lads.

I would not cram a bike into my boot! - Get my carpet dirty and oily! Maybe I am too pedantic?
I use a bit of old tarpaulin cut to shape with the seats folded down. Wouldn't use a bike rack personally - does it scratch your paint when it rubs?

#15 ·
Hi Pigfarmer,

I have a complete Alfa rack with two Alfa cycle holders. The rack actually grips the side of the roof, which you then screw tight. It works well and the car looks the business with it all on. But a Thule system is probably better. The Alfa one is a pain to put on and off, takes about 30 minutes and the bike carriers seem quite fragile. The silver strips I believe dont come off. Today Im off to cornawall and for long journeys its great , but you get masses of wind noise, like a hurricaine above your head. I bought mine complete off ebay for £130. For quick journeys out I do just use a rear bike rack, but they do seem to scratch the back a little. I notice two Alfa dealers still have cycle carriers in stock as I had to replace one of the carriers last week.
Mangoletsi parts did a national search for me. Very helpful. I would post a picture but I dont know how yet.

Cheers
NICK D

#18 ·
so what racks / roof bars work well for you lot?
The 166 was part of the Tour de France caravan a few years back (possibly 2002/2003). The VIPs certainly used them but I have a feeling there were some with full roof and boot racks as well.

Or...get a folding bike like my Dahon!!!
Or the Moulton and Birdy, if you have the cash ;).

A proper biker wouldn't drive a saloon.
Not just bikers. I noticed the saloon is hopeless for anything practical. I had to enlist the help of a colleague with an old Polo when I needed some things from IKEA. Just couldn't get them in the 166, even though it's much bigger!

#22 ·
Yup, the 166 is impractical as hell. Had to enlist the help of my dad's 147 for shifting furniture the other week... and it's easier to get the bike in my wife's Matiz than the 166 (you only need the front wheel out to get it in the matiz)! I have found a solution though: move nearer to the hills! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.