Different CV joints for Auto and Manual box?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-03-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0

Different CV joints for Auto and Manual box??

Dear All, was really confused the other day when had to change the left side CV joints on my 166 3.0 Auto. There wasn'y any problem with the outer CV which was available from many brands (Metelli, GLO, GKN Spidan, Inter Brakes and others), but when it came to the inner one, I was told that the only the original replacement like Alfa complete driveshaft or at least the CV joint with a shaft will do (cost about 400 euro or above depending on the shop) and that Auto and Manual boxes need different CV joints to couple. Returned home, tried to doublecheck in the internet myself...... and was confused even more!! In the Metelli PDF catalogue the driveshaft that matched 3.0 Auto box (part # 17-0370, link: http://www.metellispa.it/catpdf/mpdf...missioni_m.pdf , page 29) did match the 2.5 Manual box, but DID NOT match the 2.5 Auto box , which drove me into insanity. Is this just a misprint of our Italian friends or the stealers' conspiracy to make extra money on spares??? Can anybody confirm/disconfirm that the Auto and Manual boxes need different CV joints??? Any help, advice or personal experience are highly appreciated indeed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

auto , box , joints , manual