rear shocks on 164 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 25-02-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Swansea
Hmmm rear shocks on 164

Hi, i need to replace the rear shocks on my 164 ts, id like to know if there are just 2 nuts and bolts running through the hub carrier and through the bottom of the strut, i can undo the nuts but the bolts seem as if they are seized or even a part of the hub and i am afraid to force them too much with a brake bar, i have sprayed WD40 and left for now, just wanted to know if they do sheer are they available to buy new? I cant find any diagrams or any information so i am going in 'blind'

any information or ideas would be great.

many thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria
Re: rear shocks on 164

Sorry to say you've picked (potentially) one of the worst possible jobs on a 164! The bolts are available from the dealers (or were a year or so ago when I did mine)! There is one long one and one short one on each side. Unfortunately, there is a very good chance they are seized and yes, it IS possible to shear the heads off with a good bar. Also a reasonable chance of damaging the threads trying to hammer them out and as if all that wasn't bad enough, you need to get them past the ABS sensors. Depending on the age of your 164, these might be on a seaprate casting or they might be directly into the hub carrier casting.

The only advice I can give is to clean any surface rust off the exposed part of the bolt shank in between the casting lugs with emery cloth or something similar. Otherwise, if you Do get it to start to move, it can often bind up again as the wider part of the bolt (with the surface rust on) tries to get through the casting hole.

I've taken the complete assembly off the car before now and cut the bolt into sections with an air saw and then brifted the bits in the casting out!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , rear , shocks