Thermostat woes - the sequel! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-02-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Shanks's pony

Thermostat woes - the sequel!

What a pain in the ar*e that was!! After snapping one of the bolts while trying to replace the thermostat on my 164, it's taken me ages to sort it!
First, there's no access to the bolt (the one nearest the cam belt - a right carry-on just trying to remove the cam belt cover). Then, when I tried to drill the bolt out the hole was off center - arrgh!!
Couldn't remove the centre piece of the thermostat housing 'cos it's connected to the engine block by two rubber pipes, which are impossible to remove and couldn't remove the bottom bit of the housing because the bolts are impossible to get to!!! Who designs these things??!!!
In the end was forced to hack-saw off the protruding bit of bolt in-situ and best as I could drill it out. Then had to use a 6mm bolt that was longer than the original, so I could get a bolt on the end 'cos the thread in the housing was knackered! (Of course, the bottom of the thermostat housing isn't flat, so you need an extra long bolt just to be able to get a nut on it!!)
Anyway, lots of skinned knuckles, swearing, gasket sealant (and now alcohol ) later, it's done; moral of the story - don't snap a bolt when changing the thermostat!!!

Bloody Alfas - what is it about them that makes us put up with all the grief??!! (answer - starting it up afterwards and listening to the Alfa roar )
Sponsored Links
Re: Thermostat woes - the sequel!

your're not having much luck pete....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Re: Thermostat woes - the sequel!

Bin there, done half of that, then gave up & gave it to a garage.

They gave up & cut the mount in half & replaced the whole thing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

sequel , thermostat , woes