Right... decided on a 166. Advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 27-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Wave Right... decided on a 166. Advice please

Been out looking at the options today: Saab, Skoda, Merc and of course the 166. 166 is by FAR the nicest car for the money.

So, it is to be a 166 2.0. Just a few questions:

- odd things / common faults to look out for?
- Keys. Some seem to have keys like the 145 - including the red key. Some seem to have keys like the 147 that are red. Should these have a red red key (if you see what I mean!)?
- Trim. 2.0, 2.0 Turismo, 2.0 Lusso. What's the difference?
- 5 or 6 speed? When was the change? Do dif trims have different 'boxes?

I'm looking to spend about £3k. Either a private swap with the Coupe or I need to sell the Coupe (which is back from its service and is being cleaned tomorrow )

If anyone has one for sale within a couple of hours drive of Manchester send me a PM with details. It'll be good to be back in the Alfa fold!

156 2.4jtd working it's way towards perfect condition. Loving the diesel warpage!
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Re: Right... decided on a 166. Advice please

Up to 2001 3 red keys,2002 two black keys.
I have had a 2001 T/spark since it was 2 yrs.old with 16k.on the clock,45k. now and have to say it has been the most reliable car
I have ever had . A good service history is vital and I think
regular oil changes are essential,I have changed my oil every
6k. and ignored the 12k. service intervals for oil changes,because I think it is too long, the only replacements
I have made are front discs,front pads ,rear pads and air filters/pollen filters and a set of pirelli p6000 tyres at 30k. I will be changing the cambelt,because Alfa now recommend this at 36k. NOT 72k.
These 166s' seem to be a well screwed together car ,capable of
high mileages if maintained properly,apart from the cambelt the
other main issue on this model is worn front suspension wishbone bushes
which are not too expensive to replace.
I am selling my T/spark it is a 5 spd.manual,rosso red ,Tourismo.cream/
black cloth interior,excellent order(June 2001 Y reg) ,tax03/07,mot 07/07,I would let it
go for£2,295 with a new cambelt.£2,000 without,you can always let
me know if you are interested,it is a nice low mileage car with a full
history from day 1!(have bought V6)
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Super

Hi Rich

I've had the pleasure of owning a 2.0TS as a company car years ago and now privately owning a 3.0 Super. Vivian's answered the keys question, here's what I think:

Trim: I'd go for the Lusso, because you get leather. Now I know leather seats aren't everyone's taste, but I had the base 2.0 and it had fabric seats. They just seem to get dirtier, are more difficult to keep clean and you'll never get tired of the leather smell! Treat the seats with somelike like "liquid leather" and it'll always stay good looking and good smelling!

5/6 speed - I think all 2.0's were 6 speed after late 2002. I remember looking at one in the dealers when my 2.0 was being serviced, around that time. Base trim but had a 6 speed. Mine was a 5 speed, but the 3.0's are all 6 speed manual and I would say that extra cog is worth it.

My 2.0 never let me down in any way, shape or form, but it did suffer from a few niggles - I think this is just part and parcel of being an Alfa! I'd make sure all the electrics work, check the central locking doesn't stick on 1 of the doors (common), check the oil level - if it's low then it may not have been looked after. My 2.0 used to drink oil (not a leak as it never left a tell-tale puddle on the drive) but as long as I kept it topped up it was fine. Take it for a good test drive, accelerate hard - make sure it's smooth and linear, stick it in a high gear and accelerate from a slow speed, check for big ends knocking. Drive slowly at full lock - listen for clonking. If any of these happen, best to walk away as it will be expensive. With my 3.0, I had a mad rush to the head and bought the first one I saw, even though I had doubts about the test drive. £2K of new wheels and servicing later she's fine, but for the £5K in total that cost with the cost of the car, I could have got one a few years younger, so be prepared to walk away if in ANY doubt - there will be others to look at, despite them being an uncommon sight. Mine had 60K on it when it went back (thanks to the government's new taxation laws at the time!) so I can thoroughly recommend the 2.0. To be honest - it's more nimble through the corners as well. The 3.0 makes a fabulous noise, but it weighs about as much as a liner so it noses on really badly in corners and chews up bushes in the suspension. The 2.0 still makes a great noise (don't all Alfa's?? ) but it is a much better bet in the corners. I used to get between 32-35 MPG on my daily commute into work, so not too shabby on the fuel either, considering the size!

AND - how many do you see on the roads? Exactly! It's nice to be individual an different rather than Mr Mondeo or Mr Passat.

Good luck with the hunt - when you find one please post a pic!

Alfa 166 3.0 Super
Ford Capri 3.0S

Last edited by Doddy; 28-01-07 at 18:02.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 29-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Thanks Doddy and Vivian - nothing out of the ordinary to check then. Excellent. The car I looked at on Sat had two red keys that are like the black ones (ie they fold). It is an X reg. tbh, I'm not overly bothered about whether or not it needs the master key: in about 5 years of owning Fiat's / Alfas with them I've never needed it.

Vivian - you have PM
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

no master key with the 166 - no matter what year.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , advice , decided