No pressure?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
No pressure??

Hi all,

My 2.0 Twinspark 164 has developed what could or couldn't be a problem. I went on holiday for a week and when I drove the car back from the airport on the motorway, the oil pressure gauge started to sink. I couldn't pull over to investigate, as was stuck in traffic.

It sank to rest on the needle stay, this at 70mph, yet the red light wasn't on. There is oil in the car - plenty of it and no leaks either. On start up, it reads 4 bar, but within a very short time, sinks to rest on the stay, yet still the light doesn't come on and the engine still runs fine with no ill effects. Is this a genuine problem, or just a faulty oil sender or something. Perhaps a contact needs cleaning? Hopefully it isn't the oil pump. And if it was, surely there would be more of a steady decline over a period of time?

Any ideas greatfully received as I am strapped for cash at the moment and don't relish the thought of paying someone to take my engine apart.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

Re: No pressure??

May not be any help.... but!

My auxillary belt snapped the other day, and on the lanes I could not stop (it turned out to be a siezed pully on the tensioner, currently a new one is on the way fro Italy!), but as the power went I lost one system after another, but it kept sparking until all the needles rested on the stay, so hopefully it is an electrical fault, earth or something?

The sensors are supposed to be quite delecate, if the red light works then you should be ok? Mine is a 1990 so I am used to electrical things stopping working, and then fixing themselves, I thought the newer ones were a lot better. If they are in the sump like the V6 then the book time is half an hour less to get at them than to take the engine out, about 7 hours (my sump was killed by a faulty speed hump so I had to get it taken off and fixed, the mechanic warned that the oil sensor might not work again, but it did).

I am sure you will get told not to drive it like that, but on a budget you sometimes have to take a chance.

AO Member

When I bought my 164 the pressure gauge was reading low all the time (about 1 bar max I think), and I got the local (independant) repairer to look at it. They put a pressure gauge on in place of the sender and checked the oil pressure, which was OK. A new sender was fitted and the fault was fixed.
It would be worth checking the oil pressure (of course!) or getting someone with a gauge and suitable fittings to do this. It might be possible to put a +12V false feed on the sender (with the engine off) to test the gauge, as this may well be defective. I can't remember how senders work but maybe someone else can help.
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria

Don't know if the sender is the same as the 12v V6 but if it is, it's a common fault and it's the sender rather than the engine or gauge.

The Americans have a dodge whereby they drill a small hole in the top of the casing to let any oil out that has leaked apst the diaphragm. Alternatively, I think a new one is about 50.

Try a search on

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166