MOT blues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 19-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

MOT blues

Well, handbrake cables just changed again - 2nd batch in 18 months.

This time, I think they have done the job properly (changed garage loyalties after lost faith in previous MOT place).

300 total - 120 labour 50 MOT 95 for 3 brake cables & 35 for new rear pads.

Not too bad I suppose, but they have spotted some wear on the inner shoulders of the front tyres, so will have to get this checked out.

Had car 4 years now, new record for me & I haven't considered changing it - I want another 4 years ideally
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

Re: MOT blues

I had heard that handbrake cable was an expensive job but did not realise that much!

I was under mine yesterday with the WD40 and copper slip to try and maintain it through the winter. Certainly worth keeping on top of to save the hassle and cash!

Longest I have had a car was my 156 Sportwagon that I recently sold after 4 years - Was great, never let me down and was still spot on but hey I fancied a change. I love the 166 and think I will have it for a while.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

indeed - the handbrake on my old '99 was defo getting stiffer...didn't realise just how much until i got the '02! Probably explains the poor economy i was getting if the brakes were dragging as well...
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.5

Cry Like A Baby Re: MOT blues

Count yourself lucky - my MOT blues are going to be about 1300 !! I'm not sure how much of the original car is now left ..

Oil cooler leak - replace both rusted pipes and count about 3.5 hours to do it.
Replace both rear wishbones
Both front coil springs snapped ... this one sounds strange.
Hand brake cables have been playing up - so rear disks have worn quicker - new pads and discs ...
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.5

Well turned out to be 1500 all said and done !!

The garage said it wasn't the most expensive MOT job they'd done - a GTV with less than 30K miles on the clock got that award !! T least mine's got 140K !

So proud owner of :
- new rear suspension arms
- front coil springs
- complete set of oil cooler pipework
- back discs and pads
- redone handbrake
- new MAF
- various fluids
- MOT .. finally

But new MAF has sorted things out - goes like the clappers now - and seems to go round corners too .. so not all bad
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

I don't have a handbrake! I can get it working for MOT week though. I don't see why a parking brake should be part of an MOT really!

Supposed to change the droplinks every few years (on 164 any way) Only £20 each and takes half an hour to do. Well that caused the same wear on my tyres, cheaper than wasting rubber and it drives better after. You need to do the tracking again as well.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Super 166

Tyre wear almost definitely an alginment problem. Often seen on the back of 166's.

Check your suspension bushes and if they are fine it may just need an alignment. You always get some misalignment with time as you hit pot holes etc.

Also make sure your rear susension is in good condition as the alignment is done realitive to the rear and if you have problems with rear bushes etc then you are going to end up with even bigger problems.

Good Luck

Also on the Broken Front Springs - Seems that 166's have a tendency to break in this area. Amazing really - must be a design or manufacturing fault...
AO Gold Member
County: South Lanarkshire

Howard, the longest I had a car was a Ford Orion Ghia bought new in 1984 and finished 1999..15 years.I loved it.Mine sat level.all others were up at the back..Took it later to a different testing station where the guy knew his stuff....Broken springs on mine.Easy job and it sat up on the back just like all the others.

My first 166 is due its MOT in the next month...hope it doesn't cost much as it sailed through its last 2 no problem.

I hope it lasts as long as the Orion.

I saw on another thread about MOTs the chap complained about the tester finding a broken spring in a hard to find location...I would be only to happy to know it had a broken spring in case it collapsed at speed

Paul G... A handbrake is better than nae brakes if system fails.

Super166 thanks for tips re fronts springs....Mondeos are the same.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

blues , mot