Well I've had a great welcome over in the intro forum - see there for my background...
I'm on the lookout for an early 166 ('99-'01). I've looked thru' this forum & I'm afraid the 3.0 is out for me due to its desire to visit petrol pumps so often
I had a 5.0 V8 Porsche a few yrs back that did better consumption than the 3.0 V6 motor (glorious though it sounds!), & what with doing 15K+ miles/yr (& 3 kids to feed
) the 2.0 TS is going to fit the bill for me.
What I've gathered so far on the TS is that I should be checking for:
* cambelt/pulley replacement every 35-40K miles
* regular oil changes & top-ups (full synthetic is best)
* corroded radiators (engine temp probs)
* failing engine mounts (not sure if this affects TS or V6's?)
* uneven tyre wear due to knackered bushes (front & rear)
* avoid cars with knackered rear shocks (£600-£700 job)
* avoid cars with inoperative ICS or missing ICS codes
* check AC operation
* check all electrics (windows, seats etc.)
Any other common problem areas?
Model wise I think there's only 2 variants - 'base' & 'Lusso'. I am after a manual (I think auto was an option), & a CD changer + leather would be nice... but not all Lusso's seem to have leather, whilst some 'base' TS's have both CD & leather
Is there anything I can look out for to prove what variant a particular car is? (some car's are debadged too, so you can't tell by looking at the boot lid!)