performance air filter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 29-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
performance air filter

hi mates , do you consider that adding a sport air filter to the 164 Super will upgrade its performance or will it eventually downgrade it?
I ask this cause as air filters generally contributes very little to performance and only in the cases that the intake system is a relatively restricted kind. Maybe in the 164 it isn't so restrictive (I don't really know) and thus it doesn't contribute at all to better performance. Plus, if it is installed on the same location as the original one, it isn´t gonna get a new direct source of cold air to boost performance, and maybe it even gets hotter air in for being so near the engine and behind the radiator (which draws hot air to the back). For what i read the rough formula is a gain or loose of 1 to 2 hp for every 10ºC up or down respectively that the new air intake system provides. Any alfisti out there with a sport air filter to confirm? what do you think about this?

GTV 2.0 79-87
GIULIETTA 1.8 82-85
75 2.0 87-93
33 Q4 93-00
164 SUPER 3.0 V6 24V 06-...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: performance air filter

Im fitting my K&N this weekend, I'll report back. Although I am fitting a replacement filter, rather than an induction kit. An engine is basically a pump, if you remove any restrictions on the induction side the pump will work better. Induction kits are a little too uncouth for a 166
AO Member
County: Peterborough
Re: performance air filter

Hi all

I have a Green Cotton induction kit fitted to my 164 24v 'Leaf. Don't know whether there was much of a performance difference because as with most 'upgardes' it's all pub posing! Air filters hardly make any difference to the overall performace of a road car and race teams spend thousands developing theirs.

For any real differences you need to start change engine components, fueling and ignition which equals = MONEY.
Got to remember that in terms of tuning non turbo V engines are not an easy start base.

What i will say however is i have also fitted a sport exhaust and together they make it sound like a mini Ferrari. One thing i can report there was no loss in power from a driving point of view and no real gains!

Wouldn't have my old girl without them though.

The current toy box occupants

Jaguar XFR - monster!
AR GTV V6 - restoring
AR 164 V6 - fully restored
TVR Chimaera 400
Land Rover Discovery 2 4.0 V8
BMW R1200RT 90th Aniversary
Honda Africa Twin 750 RD04
Honda 800VFR

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

air , filter , performance