big intake runners for 164 Super 24v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thumbs Up big intake runners for 164 Super 24v

hi mates,
For those of you who wish to upgrade their 164 Super with big intake runners, here are some answers from squadra to an email I sent them, regarding the intake runners upgrade for the 210 hp 164 Super 3.0 24v.

Dear Chris.

Thank you for your E-mail. I will try to answer your questions as clear as possible.

1.- Do all the 166 3.0 come with big intake runners or only a specific 3.0 or from a specific year? Same with the GTV, every 3.0 engine and year or only a special series?

Yes, All 166/GTV 3.0 24v have these bigger intakerunners. As well as all GTA versions and 164 24v QV/Q4, so you can look for these models too instead of only 164QV or Q4.

2.- Another doubt that I had is: are only the runners responsible for the 20hp increase or I also have to change ehaust system (if so, from where? - complete system or half a system or nothing), or ECU mapping. The original mapping for both models (Super 24v and QV) are the same? They do not change at all? Isn't the engine gonna run light of fuel if more air goes in with the big runners, thus damaging the engine?

No. Only bigger intakerunners bring 20 bhp. Mixtrure doesn't get to lean because the airflowmeter measures more air so it injects more fuel.

3.- Eventually, if I can't get the runners in my country, are you able to send them over here without hilarious shipping, insurance and import costs?

That depends on your costums. I do send these package frequently to foreign countries. The rpice is 236.-- Euro. Post and package with normal regeistered post will be around 32.-- Euro.

Best regards.

Stephan Lenior

Squadra Tuning, Digital Performance for Alfa Romeo.
Tel 0341 250411, Fax 0341 257511.

Hope it helps other with their decision
Best ones

GTV 2.0 79-87
GIULIETTA 1.8 82-85
75 2.0 87-93
33 Q4 93-00
164 SUPER 3.0 V6 24V 06-...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: big intake runners for 164 Super 24v

I do this all the time for my customers in US and abroad. It is a proven upgrade to the 45mm intake runners and does well even with the AUTO.
It is a great upgrade to the Super.

I wish it were the same for the 12V 164's. But they are all 39mm.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , 24v , big , intake , runners , super