166 sportronic kickdown - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Re: 166 sportronic kickdown

It definitely kicks down, and hard if you want. All is dependent on which wspeed and gear you're driving.

For example, 50 km/h @ fourth will kick down 3 (!) gears back to first and shift to two at 60 km/h. As for 55 km/h @ fourth will only kickdown back to two and FEEL slower but actually is not. Only the kick-in-the-back is little more sophisticated.

When you're doing 130 km/h @ third then there won't be a kickdown. That's normal because there's no lower gear available that can do 130 km/h.

When you floor the pedal gently and then push it a little harder with more force, that can also result in a gear change although you're not really kickdowning.

If you never, ever get a kickdown then something must be wrong.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

I also find the Sportronic a bit peculiar sometimes, could be since I have the diesel version and the gear box has five gears. Really think they could have made a better job mapping the gearbox to make it more suitable for the diesel engine. I often think it revs too high before changing since I may not be throttling that much (doesn´t really need to with all that torque), and sometimes it kicks down two gears when I floor it, only to end up slightly over 4000 rpms and start loosing torque almost instantly. It holds on to about 4700 rpms, and when it shifts I really get thrown back in the seat! Think the car would actually be faster if it had changed 200-300 rpms earlier. But that is of course easily achieved in Tiptronic-mode.....best performance is putting it into third gear, for example when about to overtake, floor it and hold until 4300-4500 rpms, then shift manually. She absolutely flies!

The gearbox ECU is surely connected to the engine management. Swithing on the A/C makes the gearbox much more smooth when shifting, it even lets the revs rise a bit between changes, just as if it calculates that some power should be lost in the compressor. But I have a tuning box installed, so there´s actually more torque than the gearbox anticipates, and I think that´s why this happens. Reward is 200 bhp´s though.....
AO Member
County: Surrey

I find that the kickdown is not all that good either but it doesn't bother too much as if you need to overtake it is a planned move so I flip accross to sport pick my momnet and hit 3rd and she flies!

I have hit the red line in d mode in 1st before just press the throttle hard to the floor and it goes very well although I find if you don't keep it pressed it jusy changes up too quickly.
AO Silver Member
County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

has anyone managed to flick across to sport, say at 68Mph, and then manually change down a gear, when the car does it at the same time? now that is loud an scary!
ie from 4th to 2nd...at 70mph...
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire

Originally Posted by Pigfarmer View Post
has anyone managed to flick across to sport, say at 68Mph, and then manually change down a gear, when the car does it at the same time? now that is loud an scary!
ie from 4th to 2nd...at 70mph...

Yep, done that - approaching a tight bend in Sport mode and 3rd gear, both I and the gearbox decided to downshift at more or less the same time and ended up in 1st... the deceleration effect was pretty spectacular but thankfully speed wasn't too high so no harm done.

My car kicks down quite happily in standard mode; if I want a more aggressive response (ie for overtaking) I flick to Sport mode and then settle back to standard once I've made the pass. To be honest I don't often manually shift these days - the 'box is flexible enough to meet my needs as is.

That, or I'm getting old

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , kickdown , sportronic