I have a 2.5L Sportronic and the gearbox workes fine exept when it's cold it does shift down quite hard. Sometimes it's like it want's to be a racer and shifts down with the engine reving because of it. This just be my car though, they've got abit of soul those beauties
Couple of problem pointers that i've gathered so far from my 166 history.
1) Check the front suspension and wishbone bushes (all bushes for that matter).
2) On top of the engine on the left there is a engine stabilizing bar that tends to go. It's quite cheap though and easy to fix. Read about it here .. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l-dogbone.html
3) Check all electric windows
4) Check for cambelt changes if they have been done already or are needed any time soon. (very expensive). Depends who you ask but should be done around the 50k-72k
5) Check Aircon and heater, my heater motor was fried when i bought it, but that doesn't seem to be a very frequent in Alfa's, Aircon problems i've read some about though.
Hope this helps some m8.
Beware though reading to much on these forums can make you almost afraid of buying the car
Alot of threads are worst case scenarios though