2.5L Automatic oil check - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 V6 2.5L

2.5L Automatic oil check

Hi again

Can anybody point me in the direction how i can check the automatic oil. I've looked around for the oil stick but can't for the life of me find it. Is there one?

How much of a job is it to change the oil, after 80k it could be a good idea?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Scottish Borders
Re: 2.5L Automatic oil check

On the auto there should be one - is it not on the filler cap for the tranny?? Not sure at all, but will check when i get a mo.

Changing it - not a bad idea but unfortunately no idea how difficult it is.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Re: 2.5L Automatic oil check

Changing oil is odd. I'd agree it needs doing after 80K AR say it doesn't but would you trust any oil to last that long time and distance?
There is no dipstick.
You have to get under the car - there is a drain plug at base with a huge hex key hole - forget what size.
To drain you remove, however not all of the oil comes out - I got 4 litres out but the capacity apparently is 7! Alot of it gets retained in the torque convertor/solenoid reservoir system. Not sure if you can run engine briefly to pump out more. You refill through same hole - I did it with bottle set up on drip with plastic tube! Takes forever.
You need to measure what you get out so you can put roughly same back in then check level. This you do by raising car on level (lift), run engine until everything warm, including g/box oil then remove the drain plug - correct level is when you get a very thin trickle from plug 'ole.
I used a good quality synthetic Dextron 3. You can get the proper Selina oil but it aint cheap. Given that I will probably change it every 24k or so I don't think you need the Selina (
TUTELA CAR GI/E - Fully Synthetic DexronIII)- I think it has additives to extend its lifespan - only difference that I could find after extensive research. It may be different for the 5 speed auto box tho'!
The 4 speed is a ZF HP20 4 unit.
Redline D4 seems to get good right ups

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

25l , automatic , check , oil