166 Tyre wear / noise issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Vaud
166 Tyre wear / noise issues

Hello to all you Alfa nuts out there! Would appreciate some advice please!

I 've had my 2004 166 2.0TS Lusso (New nose) for almost year now and as Clarkson said "God I love this car". It replaced a much loved '02 plate 156 2.0TS which I had for 3 years.

I got a stunning deal from an Alfa main dealer - it cost Ģ13,995 was less than a year old and had 6k on the clock. Build quality of the 166 is much better than the 156 and despite the 100kg weight disadvantage, its still pretty quick, although you need to give it plenty of revs......always a pleasure and I never tire of that rasp that kicks in around 5,000rpm. Would have like to get the 3.2 but couldn't get that past the wife.

I've had VW's, Audis, etc. and I have to say I was a little concerned about Alfa's reliability. However, both cars have been really excellent and have not let me down at all. Regular servicing and top-ups with Selenia are all that's required (living in Cheshire we have access to a pretty good independent Alfa dealer so servicing is good)

That said, the 156 developed a strange "droning" noise at around 20k miles...at first I thought it was bearing issues....further investigation found that the tyres had worn like 50p pieces and the matter was cured with 4 new treads....not a cheap fix......

Low and behold, the 166 has developed a similar noise at 21k miles! Again the bearings are fine but there was some differential wear on the rears, which despite having 4mm of tread left were replaced at a cost of Ģ250 only yesterday (I know they can be hard on rears). Fronts which were new recently were balanced, but noise is still there.

However, I think I can trace the 166 issue back to the mother of all pot holes...but its taken 2-3k miles to raise its head. The guys at our local tyre joint reckon the front n/s wheel is slightly buckled and that took the brunt of the impact. I am going to get them to swap the fronts to the back tomorrow to see if that has any effect......not sure if you can get buckled alloys repaired or whether it will be a Ģ170 hit for a new alloy?

Has anyone else had similar 166 tyre wear/suspension issues?

Despite this annoyance, I can't get angry with the beast. It was treated to a polish earlier and that Odyssey Blue paintwork is gleaming.....the BM and Audi clowns will be treated to a display of Italian style complete with Xenons a blazing firing down the M56 to work tomorrow morning.

Anyway, I'm thirsty, pass me that Peroni.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 166 Tyre wear / noise issues

Congratulations on your car...itīs absolutely beautiful. Normally the 166 is considered to be better than the 156 in terms of build quality (but then again itīs built at the Lancia factory which is probably a good thing). The 166 has much fewer weak spots than the 156 and itīs really a shame itīs a bit overlooked - at least here in DK.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

Re: 166 Tyre wear / noise issues

shhh - don't tell everyone our secret or the prices will go up

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , issues , noise , tyre , wear