164 Sports exhaust!!!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 07-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Peterborough
Cheese 164 Sports exhaust!!!!!!

I have been looking for a decent full sports exhaust system for my 164 Cloverleaf ever since i bought but to no avail. The only ones i could find are custom made.

SO me and my brother (Moyneseyt5) decided that considering we made the exhaust for the rally car then why not the Alfa!

Ok heres the plan take a length of 2 1/4" exhaust tubing and cut out the middle box, this work perfectly. Then me being me decides to remove the rear box leaving only the cat!!! In other words a straight pipe!

Now i have owned loud cars including a TVR on sports exhausts but nothing, and i mean nothing could have prepared me for the Alfa.

Loud would be the understatement of the forum, it sounds like a full blow Le Mans special when in full flight!

My brother could hear it still whilst i was foot down about 1/2 a mile away! Sounds like an old carb feed Ferrari and at 3000 RPM is so aggressive you wouldnt believe it.

Way to loud, so now the plan is keep the pipe instead of the middle box and cut a rear sports box in to the rear again.

Amazing thing is there was no apparent loss in power, if anything it pulls harder at lower revs!

I will let you know as i progress. Cheap sports exhaust as it only cost 10.50 for 2m of tubing, a sports box and a bit of welding/cutting although we are going to test the OEM box for performance and sounds as well which may be cheaper still.

I need to be taken away and studied!!!

The current toy box occupants

Jaguar XFR - monster!
AR GTV V6 - restoring
AR 164 V6 - fully restored
TVR Chimaera 400
Land Rover Discovery 2 4.0 V8
BMW R1200RT 90th Aniversary
Honda Africa Twin 750 RD04
Honda 800VFR
Sponsored Links
Re: 164 Sports exhaust!!!!!!

I can confirm after a short trip in the car it is LOUD!!
Gota feeling you are going to upset certain neighbours if you dont make it a little less noisey!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , exhaust , sports