Power Lose - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Power Lose

Just passing on my experiences, I have a 1999 T reg Alfa 166 3.0 trip tronic with sat nav. Iíve had the car a little over a year and all was fine,
I always thought that this car was under performing, but as Iíd never drove another 3.0 Alfa and could not compare the two, well about a month ago in the mornings it would start to miss fire and become sluggish until the engine warmed up. I put it in for a service hoping this would sort the problem out (thinking it could be the plugs or something) well it came back from the garage a bit better but after a few days the problem got worse and last week on a cold start I could not go faster than 30 mph, until the engine warmed up. When the engine was warm I could drive it like a normal car BUT if I put my foot down the car would not accelerate at all, it would only pick up speed if I eased down on the accelerate. It felt like the engine was being flooded I was becoming a bit worried that some of the valves were not working, but it still felt smooth if I drove normal, well I took it back to the garage, now I had only just started using this garage Peugeot Garage because of a friend etc etc. The garage told me they could do nothing because (they had a look) it had to go into a computer for fault codes etc, and it was there guess that the heater coil was not working on one side. This will make you laugh they said ďthe mechanic could not found anything wrong with it at firstĒ.
This problem had became so bad that I thought Iím going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a Alfa garage so I had it booked for next week, because Iím so inpatient I called the garage I had used for years since my Ďfirst carí and thought so much for the Peugeot garage, Iíll see if they can help, now this garage is only a small garage and I thought what the hell I ask, first of all they said bring it down and if it needs to go into a computer we can get one in ten minute and check. Off I went, I spoke to the owner and explained what had been happing, he said he had an Alfa 2.5 and had the same problem, and thought it might be the air flow sensor, he disconnected it and what a difference (it was still not right). He could not get hold of a new one straight away but warned me that they could be up to £200.00. I looked on e-bay and purchased a new one delivered for £99.00 and popped it down to them to fit and hay presto WHAT A DIFFERENCE the car is like a rocket, it was never like this when I purchased the car.
Now these air low sensors are only good for 30,000 miles so if youíre having a problem bare this in mind.

Now I only have the air con to sort out and a doggy earth on my brake like oh and the sat nav loses its GPS signal and only finds it when it wants to (could be a day or and hour)

Hope this helps anybody

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Re: Power Lose

Jason welcome to the forum and the world of the dodgy Alfa air mass sensor. Usually symptoms of this failing are lack of poer at higher revs typically 4500rpm plus and a rough tickover.
They don't seem to last very long. Careful cleaning (see other threads) can extend their lifespan, Had mine about 12k miles so may be half through its life.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Power Lose

Iím keeping it serviced every 10,000mls. After the service I checked the air filter to make sure it was new.
And asked them to change the plugs, I was told they were good for 60,000mls but I opted to change them after 30,000mls

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

lose , power