Xenon Headlights - solved? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Xenon Headlights - solved?

Been twiddling with the Xenons again.
The motorised push rod is NOT a passive fit as I thought, it must lock into the headlight swivel assembly. So it can pull it up for higher beam, as well as push to lower.
Here's the technique:
twist out the motors and position them so you can see from the light switch.
Turn on ignition, then turn on side lights for second - rod will push out - turn off before they move back in again.
Twist the high voltage box from the back of the light unit, feel inside for the back of the bulb unit -its a metallic thing which will move up and down with a degree of springyness - the bulbs at the front will move up and down too if you look from the front.
Keeping your fingers with downwards pressure on the bulb as you reinsert the motor and twist. There will be some resistance but keep wiggling the lamp with a predominant downward force as you twist the motor in. Once located - the lamp assembly should be locked firmly, you won't be able to move it much at all and if you try to remove the motor it will require quite a tug.
You can then adjust the lamp height with the small black hex nut on the top - Hey presto - see at night!!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
Re: Xenon Headlights - solved?

i know a better way that i found by accident.

The hex nuts at the top adjust them to bring the light upwards while the moter is still connected.

Take the moter out and tuen the hex keys to push the pin out.

Insert the moter to the light and turn the hex key so that it brings the light up further. Repeat this untill there is some resistance when you attempt to take the light back out! When there is resistance job done! Any problems just give me a ring on 07793718190. If no answer just keep every hour, just means im at work or driving!
AO Member
Thumbs Up Re: Xenon Headlights - solved?

Your solution gave me the clue to sorting out normal headlights, which have been causing me a problem. This wrinkle does not appear in the service manual CD and I believe causes dealers to mis-diagnose so that a complete lamp assembly is the solution to a problem of loss of adjustment. Many thanks for this it has been invaluable.

So the proceedure is

remove the plastic shield above the radiator, it makes access easier

take of the cover behind the dipped lamps

Remove the adjstment motors, if they are a tight fit then there is probably no problem

Extend the yellow adjustment rod to its full extent by turning the allen key socket on the motor housing

put downward pressure on the lamp holder in the dipped lamp. and hold. offer up the ball joint on the adjustment rod and press; there is a discenable clich as the two connect together.

Inset the motor into the housing, relase the pressure on the buld holder and twist the motor into place. The bulb holder will now feel firm. The lamp height can be adjusted using the allen socket on the motor housing. replace the plastic covers. In addition I have replaced the bulbs using xenon filled halogen units, excellent.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

headlights , solved , xenon