3 litre revelation! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
3 litre revelation!

Hi all

I've had my 166 3.0 SL for 18 months now. It was bought to replace both my 166 2.0 TS and my impractical Porsche 968 in one go - giving me & my family performance, space and value in one beautiful package.

I knew that despite the 3 litre capacity (the same as the Porsche), the performance would be some way off due to the extra mass (c.200kg) and the fact that it is front rahter than rear wheel drive.

The performance, however, was adequate, with that lovely V6 snarl as the revs rose. My only disappointment with the motor was that it seemed to get quite breathless above 5,500 rpm, and did not seem capable of reaching the red-line at 7,000.

Despite this, a good mate of mine helped me do some perfomance runs on a wet & cold January morning, using a race-logic measurement system. We managed to record 0-60 in 8.9 seconds and 0-100 in 21 seconds flat (from a dual carriageway lay-by), plus 30-70 thru' the gears in 7.3 seconds. I was reasonably happy with this given the weather conditions and lack of driver skill in getting-off the line, and reckoned that on a better day, could easily improve on the standing start times.

I have written in this forum previously about the performance concerns I had with the car, and thought it might be the MAF meter. So when it went into CW Lear's for the 72k service (don't ask how much!), I asked him to check this for me. On picking up the car when it was ready, I asked him if he'd been able to resolve the performance issues, to which he answered with a knowing "oh yes!". As it turned out, the belts were on their way out (gulp); the timing was wrong as a result; the pulleys were shot (and replaced) and the air filter looked like it had never seen the light of day.

Result? Oh my god! This is what the 3 litre motor is meant to be like - smooth, strong and it absolutely flies around to the red-line now in a way I wasn't expecting. In fact, it caught me out yesterday - I think I'll leave the TC on for now until I get used to it.

All I can say is, this has renewed my faith in the trusty 3 litre motor - I love it. I'd also heartily recommend CW Lear to anyone in the North of England as someone who knows how to get the best out of these engines.

Off to Suffolk for a break next week, so I can enjoy the motor even more. Bye!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: 3 litre revelation!

pleased you got that motor sorted mate,cracking emgines, enjoy your break.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

litre , revelation