3 wheels on my wagon! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Cry Like A Baby 3 wheels on my wagon!

Ive been driving for many years and pride myself on my mechanical sympathy for my cars. I ve always been able to feel if something was wrong (even low tyre pressures).
On Friday morning I was driving down a narrow lane, suddenly, wheel wobble lots of mechanical noise, I braked almost stopped and my front wheel fell off! - If that had been my wife I would have bollocked her for not feeling something was wrong and stopping before things got too far.
I was astounded, especially considering I had just completed a 150mile motorway trip the night before.
What was weird was the fact all my wheel nuts had disappeared. I live in the sticks, no neighbours close by, the last time I had the wheel off was 3 weeks ago?
Fortunately because I had almost stopped the wheel stayed in the arch and the front wing was resting on it. Unbeleivably only very minor damage to the wing and scuffs on the inside of the alloy wheel. I called the local garage (because I couldnt get the jack under) They picked it up for me.
Once on their ramps I had a check underneath, there was no damage (phew!) at the front, but then I noticed that where the rear adjustable links bolt onto the rear subframe, the bolts passing through the subframe had lots of play and the spacer tube had actually detached from the subframe requiring welding.
I think the rear subframe stuff was not linked to the strange wheel situation and more likely to do with the extra strain now being placed on everything by the stiffer suspension and hard polybushes.
Back on the road again now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

wagon , wheels