Steering Wheel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Steering Wheel

'I've searched for this and couldn't find anything, so here goes'

I have seen other 166's (and other models) that have a multi function steering wheel.

My 166 however, doesn't. Can this be retro-fitted?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

Re: Steering Wheel

ummmm - not sure, probably is the short answer

I've got a steering wheel kicking about under my desk that i've been too chicken to fit myself cause of the airbag...not got buttons on it though, just nicer 2-tone colours
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa GT, 156

Re: Steering Wheel

Bought one off eBay a couple of months back. Finally got round to trying to fit it a few weeks ago but there is no loom readily visible to plug the extra connector into from the clockspring (one for airbag, one for radio controls). ePer shows lots of variants (as usual) plus an extra short cable that is marked as a modification for steering wheels with radio controls. I've yet to explore if this will provide the necessary connection to the ICS although it's only a few quid.

By the way, I've removed the airbag in the Alfa and also a SAAB - both come off fairly easily as a module with a single connector. Just don't switch on the ignition with the airbag removed however as this generated a fault code on the SAAB and I suspect the Alfa airbag self-test on start-up will do something similar.

Finally, if you're just trying to replace the steering wheel for a nicer one, undo the locknut just a few turns first when pulling the wheel off the column as they often come off suddenly, breaking off the clockspring loom which is sometimes threaded through the boss. These are normally quite expensive and I'm not sure if Alfa supply them separately anymore (my new wheel came with the clockspring loom fitted).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

steering , wheel