166 25 V6 Need Help!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 28-01-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.5 V6

166 25 V6 Need Help!!

Took my alfa to the mechanic and replaced timing belt, tensioners, water pump, air filter and engine oil.
The problem is that the engine power is gone.

When driving if you press the accelerator pedal the engine revs only till it reaches 4000 to 5000 rvm.

The mechanic removed the battery for a week, is it possible that the ics needs re programming.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

Re: 166 25 V6 Need Help!!

that sounds like a maf problem...maybe got damaged when the air filter was replaced.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Either maf is dirty or broken
Or your timing belt is not set correctly and he cam/enine timing is out. 1 notch probably won't make difference at lower revs but noticable at higher revs.
AO Member
County: Scottish Borders

I would agree and say it sounds like the cam timing is out

Had this happen to me before when a timing belt jumped 2 teeth due to a broken alternator belt (dont ask, it was a Metro and long ago) but this produced the symptoms you are experiencing (cept lower down, bugger wouldn't rev past 3000 - annoying when you still have 200 miles to travel in midwinter!)

The MAF would be more likely to cause general truculence everywhere but not the complete lack of power (spot the previous high milage Ford owner). Never had a dodgy maf cause just power loss, it's fuelling would be all over the place, and the idle too (probably wouldn't)

Especially as the belt has just been changed.......(would suspect 1/2 to 1 tooth movement)

Hope you find out what it is soon mate, a v6 unable to sing is not right (and either way - it is the garage's fault)

We have no plan, therefore nothing can go wrong (much)

And i Have finally put piccies of the silver one on!!
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

I would say it is cambelt out a tooth or two also. generally I have found that if a MAF is faulty the car is ok on full throttle but not anywhere less than full throttle. Or it could be the electronic throttle?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

sorry to disagree with you boys but a V6 that doesn't pull after 4-500 rpm is classic signs of the MAF dirty or knackered. They are very variable in reliabilyt and length of service, typically few do more than 50K miles.
The rest of the rev range is pretty normal. V6 onhly comes "on song" above 3500rpm. The MAF fine tunes the fuel mapping - its not the be all and end all. If its not working ecu defualts to a standard map. Other thing you can try is disconnecting the MAF. Is it any worse? No then its probably MAF but still could be belt. Is it worse? Yes - then MAF is the problem.
Take it back to garage ask them to try a new MAF as its a 10 minute swop out job for a known good new one.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Just a thought, but is the v6 going up to 4/5000 normally........& what about with STR on?

Just thinking about the possibility of the fly-by-wire throttle being damaged.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166