Originally Posted by niallmoran
had a quick check on my twinny filter - seems to be made by a company called tecnocar
Technocar owned by Veco have an agent in Leeds, their online catalogue doesn't seem to be working.
Below is plagiarised article from Honest John (The Telegraph) website. This and pattern filters, some people have no morals
Incidentally despite what is said below I believe Champion the filter maker has no connection with Champion spark plugs. However it is a handy to have a well known name in sales. Seems some others morals aren't too good either
Oil filters - pmh Tue 8 Apr 03 09:44
This is basically the reply I received from a product manager at Halfords, who appears to be prepared to state facts and not make it into a an overt sales promotional opportunity. I have his agreement to publish his text. It is good to see someone prepared to go on record.
Based on this I will be prepared to use their own Brand products rather than the premium priced Champion Branded product!
- Halfords oil and air filters are made by Sogefi Filtration Europe's largest filter manufacturer
- Sogefi have factories all over Europe and own the top 3 brands sales wise in the UK - Fram,Coopers and Crosland
- They are OE to most vehicle manufacturers in Europe.
- a Halfords filter in most cases will be identical to the OE. eg A Ford oil filter and a Halfords oil filter are identical apart from the colour
- No filter manufacturer makes every single filter they sell. Much intertrading is done as it is just not economical to tool up for everything.
- In common with all filter manufacturers there will be the odd difference in size etc but to no noticable detriment to the
filters performance. This is called rationalisation eg one manufacture may have say 4 part numbers for a Golf and another covers it with 2 . For a Fiesta it will be the other way round depending on who was OE when the vehicle was in production.
- as Halfords have chosen Europes largest filter manufacturer as a supplier we should be an exact match more times than we are not - No-one will be 100%
- Champion are are relatively small UK player with just one Italian factory. The success of the spark plugs making Champion a well known brand to the general public is the only reason we stock the filters. They are not widely stocked in motor factors supplying the garage trade.
Just to add to the confusion(Ram):-
Coopers Filters is part of the SOGEFI group and along with High Street brands such as Fram, Fiaam, Crosland, Tecnocar and Purflux form one of Europe's largest filter groups. The company has undergone a number of significant changes which have served to strengthen its position as a major filter manufacturer and in particular, its position as the UK's leading manufacturer of Original Equipment Air Cleaners.