lowered/not lowered - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-05 Thread Starter

Member car:

164 TS

lowered/not lowered

Hello again.

I have a 164 TS 1992.

One of the springs in the front suspension broke the other day. I had the car towed to a garage were they changed springs, shock absorbers and more to the 'nice' price of 13 ' NOK (I don't even dear to tell the price i Euro, but it's probably more than the car is worth).
The result was very bad. It now looks like a SUV or 4WD in the front with a big gap between wheel and wheelbow (is that the right word..t??)

I went back to the garage, but no...They had put on original springs (they said) so the car had to have been lowered before. I've never lowered it, and I don't think it looked lowered before this neither.

So, my question is, how can you know if the car was lowered? Or, what can the garage have done wrong? Put on springs from a newer version of the 164 or what...

OK, not a very easy topic to answer, this. But if anyone has had some sort of experience like this, I would like to know....
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Re: lowered/not lowered

Think the owners manual should quote figures for ground clearance?

Also, check some of the 164 pic's in the AO garage.

Don't think mine has particularly large gap between wheel & wheelarch.
AO Member
County: New South Wales

As above, check ride height specs.

Another possibility is that they've fitted V6 springs - I'm led to believe they're a bit heavier in the rate, so won't compress as much, leaving your t/s's nose in the air.

It may settle down over the next few weeks but it does sound like they've put very high springs on. Any chance of a photo?

Hard to prove though

AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Looking at my TSpark (on 15" steel rims), there's about 4-6 inches from tyre to bottom of wheelbow (no idea if that's the right word, but I like it!). It's actually quite high, but I've never thought it looks too out of place. On the QV (on 16" alloys) which is factory lowered, there's about an inch from wheel to wheelbow.

The best way to know would be how the handling has changed. If you have significantly more body roll than you're used to, it could well have been lowered previously.
AO Silver Member
County: -

The chances are you had lowered springs or they had a coil chopped off. The ride height is pretty high and looks bad on the standard 164 especially the pre facelift (Super) versions. You may even have had QV springs on there which lower the car about 10cm so it looks good without going as far as the more drastic 30 to 40cm aftermarket springs give.

As mentioned, check out the correct ride height or post a picture to compare against our own cars.

You could have made the most of your problem by installing a set of B&G springs!

164 V6 24v "Zender Alfa Sport"

Past glories: Sud 1.5ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 1.5ti, 33 1.7ie, 164 3.0 V6, 164 3.0 V6, GTV 1.8TS, 156 1.6 TS, 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

lowered , lowered or not