V6 History / Info - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-05 Thread Starter

Member car:

V6 History / Info

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the 164 and it's V6 engine, with the help of a google image search I found the following site

Its exactly the sort of information I was after, but it's in Polish and I don't speak Polish let alone understand it. I put the page through a translator and it didn't help in the least, I've translated stuff with babelfish before and it did a far better job than this.

Does anybody know where there is a similar page or collection of pages in English? Really what I'm trying to find out is what actually changed between the 12v and 24v models, obviously an extra cam, extra valves and new heads but what else changed? The 24v appears to have no distributor and it seems to have gained EGR and a catalyst. Has it changed from single to multi-point fuel injection, gained knock sensors etc?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: V6 History / Info

The 12v also went through a series 2 engine which had no distributor. The 24v engine also had a much better lubrication system. I believe the oil cooler was installed on some of the latter 12 valve cars but the 24v engine in itself has a much better internal lubrication system. I know of 3 12 valvers that have blown a piston ring at high speed (mine included) due to the lubrication not being adequate. I have yet to hear of a 24 valve doing the same. 24 valve gearbox main shaft bearing also got reinforced to roller bearing from ball bearing. It also sits lower than the 12 valve engine.

164 V6 24v "Zender Alfa Sport"

Past glories: Sud 1.5ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 1.5ti, 33 1.7ie, 164 3.0 V6, 164 3.0 V6, GTV 1.8TS, 156 1.6 TS, 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 02-12-05 Thread Starter

Member car:

You have a 1991 V6, I'm assuming that's a 12 valve, does it have the phase 1 engine or the phase 2? Improved lubrication? Distributor?

Did the later 164s with the automatic gearbox get the 12 valve engine, just going on the ones I've seen that would seem to be the case.
AO Member

Well obviously extra valves .. the engine management system went to Motronic M1.7 which in conjunction with one coil per cylinder had automatic advance/retard on each cylinder with a knock sensor per bank of cylinders. CAT standard on all. Well worth you investing in a CARDISK if you own a 24v car....or a version made for the 12v cars is also available. from cardisk.com Tons and TONS of original official documentation to look through plus all the troubleshooting guides and full wiring diagrams you will ever need

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

history , info