Which battery - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-10-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1995 2.0 TS 164

Which battery

Being a new owner of a 164 I have obviously been on a steep learning curve and trying to glean as much info as possible. In the course of this I took out my battery to recharge it. I then realised that with it being in the boot it should vent outside the vehicle. Duly enough there is a battery vent pipe in the boot unfortunately no vent outlet on the battery. The one I am using is an Exide W027SE, which Exide have confirmed is a self venting battery. This means that under normal conditions any gases are re-absorbed by the battery, but under over charging conditions will vent to the outside ie into the boot, not a good idea! The suggestion is an 100VSE which has an external vent.
Interestingly the Exide UK website makes no mention of the fact an external venting battery is required, in fact their system thinks the battery is under the bonnet. Taking a look on the Exide US website shows they know its in the boot and should be externally vented.Mind you another solution is to use one of the sealed none maintenance batteries.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: Which battery

I don't know anything about vented batteries when my battery went on my TSpark, I asked the exhaust and battery people for a new one and they installed a normal looking battery. However, there is a hard cover that goes over the top of it, so I imagine that it would vent out of the pipe as it shouldn't be able to go into the boot. Having said that my cloverleaf's cover is missing.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: Which battery

All I know for sure is that you should only use a sealed non mantenance battery in the 164. Very possibly this has to do with the fact that it's in an enclosed boot with no air circulation or proper venting but I'm no expert!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166