Upgrading/replacing 164 stereo system? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-09-05 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 164

Upgrading/replacing 164 stereo system?

I have been meaning to upgrade my sound system in my 1990 Alfa 164. I'm sure some of you have done this before, so any advice or suggestions would be great.

I have alot of questions:

How do i get to the speakers in my rear deck?

Is possible to replace the face of the stereo? If so, is it worth it?

Can you reccomend a system for me to put in? I am hoping to spend around 500 USDs.

Any brands I should look at?

How do I tell if the speakers are blown?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Upgrading/replacing 164 stereo system?

The best advice I can give is to replace the door speakers with good quaility units and replace the head unit with similar. I like Alpine as a brand and also Rockford Fosgate but its all whatever you like. Almost goes without saying that you should get a head unit that is MP3 compatible.

I suggest forgetting the shelf speakers unless you drive with your head in the back of the car the soundstage should be all up front where the most important person is....you. If you spend say 300 on head unit and 200 on door speakers (get components that come with upgraded tweeters) then you will have a very nice sounding system.

'96 164 Cloverleaf

Now a Mercedes CLK 430 Coupe.

Last edited by Mike M; 19-09-05 at 13:07.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: Upgrading/replacing 164 stereo system?

Willing, where are you from? You quote price in USD so I'm wondering if you're maybe stateside. Does that mean you don't actually have the standard stereo fitting with the pulldown cover? First thing you would need to do is buy an adaptor which I know are available. Let me know and I'll dig out the link if this is your case.

I replaced my door speakers with a set of Pioneers and actually made a hole in the door trim to get them out and sounding better than through plastic. I also had the rear shelf with the puny little speakers on the sides so I had to cut up my rear shelf to get some decent speakers in there. The plan was to replace this shelf with the updated one which had proper rear speaker mounts in but I killed my 12V and bought the 24V. Now don't want to do any chopping up in it so am looking at the best options that will fit the standard sizes. I will be measuring the spaces available and will probably post it on my site along with other hints and tricks for the 164 soonish.

164 V6 24v "Zender Alfa Sport"

Past glories: Sud 1.5ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 1.5ti, 33 1.7ie, 164 3.0 V6, 164 3.0 V6, GTV 1.8TS, 156 1.6 TS, 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , stereo , system , upgrading or replacing