Messing with a 166 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thumbs Up Messing with a 166

Hi there

I finally managed to pick up my first Alfa on Tuesday. I've been driving a Lancia Dedra for a few months before but the alternator gave and family put the pressure on to get new car (good excuse for me I think). She's Black '01 2.0 TS and suits me just fine. However, I'd like her a little lower and new wheels and etc etc. So my questions are:

1. What are the best lowering springs for handling?
2. Would GTV or GT wheels fit her?
3. Is it possible to get this model to 200bhp? (I know it's a bit much, but worth a try)
4. Is there a Sat Nav system avaible for this model that'll work in Ireland? Cost?
5. Same goes for the phone system?

Thanks for any advice!

I just want to say I've been reading the forum for awhile and without being a kiss-ass I'd just like to say that it's one of the few car forums around these days that hasn't been infiltrated by self-righteous or snobby up-their-own-a?se posters. Nice bunch a' people youse are!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: Messing with a 166

Nice car and welcome to the Alfa owning fraternity although you should be well accustomed to Italian build after the Dedra. We now need pics of your Italian bella.

You can very easily get 200 BHP as I have a friend in Barcelona who has a Novitec franchise and gets a shy over 200 with his TS after installing a Novitec compressor. It's a low preassure thing and is not the new generation gear which is better so you could be looking at more power from a the latest systems. They're also quieter, almost undetectable. He's had his for 3 years and has done many track days with his car. Reliability has not been an issue, Novitec spend thousands on R&D (and then Autodelta copy their stuff) so they know what they're doing. The latest GTA's produce 350 BHP once run in (about 1000 kms). Novitec do a full line of shocks and springs too and then you can always fit a set of Zender Sienas which look fantastic on the 166.

164 V6 24v "Zender Alfa Sport"

Past glories: Sud 1.5ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 1.5ti, 33 1.7ie, 164 3.0 V6, 164 3.0 V6, GTV 1.8TS, 156 1.6 TS, 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic.

Last edited by v6junky; 15-09-05 at 14:31.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

I guess the sky is the limit performance wise as long as your pockets are deep as well!

As far as satnav goes, you'll need to get hold of the satnav box/cd reader that goes in the boot but i think most 166's don't have the wiring so you'd have to source the correct lead to hook it up to the ICS.

No idea about the phone - i've been previously told that there are connections for a phone kit under the armrest bitty....haven't looked myself though but again it might be dependant on model.

Anyway, keep us updated on all the mods you do....sounds like it could be quite a car once your finished

'02 156 1.8
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 15-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Money would I guess be the biggest issue. The compressor is an expensive piece of kit. I'll start with lowering springs and new wheels and new filter and that might keep me happy!

I might approach an ICE place regarding the rest, overall it may just not be worth it, though Sat Nav would be very useful.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , messing