Can it get any worse? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Can it get any worse?

Off on a trip to France on Wednesday; so far so good!

Just found that the rear suspension bushes have failed, causing the rear wheels to lean in at the top, meaning that the tyres have now rubbed down to the beading , then, noticed that the windscreen has chipped and cracked right accross the drivers side , then just found that the caliper is grinding on the discs, even though I had new pads fitted at Alfa 4 months ago!

Will I make it to France????
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Durham
Re: Can it get any worse?

Oh dear. I wouldn't be driving it further than my nearest garage in that state. Either get it booked in and sorted pronto or give these guys a call. Best of luck which ever you choose.

I do sometimes wonder about Alfas and quality

My 13 year old TS has never had a bush replaced in its life and passed the MOT a month ago requiring the first work EVER to pass...I had to replace a rusty rear brake pipe. I did it myself and it cost about £10, as I have a flaring tool and just had to buy pipe and fittings and fluid. I suppose the bushes must be well worn by now, but I have had three different testers over the last five years and none of them have pulled it up. The worst they mention is 'slight play in steering, but within acceptable limits'.

On the other hand.....the 24 valve at 11 years old has a catalogue of things that have needed doing to it over the years for MOT, and last time it was a leaking rear strut and its going to need rear calipers this time round as the handbrake mechanism is pretty well knackered.

It does seem that 156 and 166s are very fragile when it comes to suspension has quality gone backwards as most people seen to run into this problem ?

164Super 24valve
AO Member

When did you last have the suspension bushes inspected? I would be suprised if they "failed" out of the blue. Alfa's require regular professional maintenance and whilst I am not saying you did not have this done, it really is the reason so many dodgy Alfa's are out there..people can't afford to or choose not to have this maintenance done.

4 months for rear pads to wear is obscene unless you have had a frozen caliper or jammed handbrake cable etc..

With respect to the comment on quality, it is a fact that many area's on Alfa cars require serious attention by Alfa before the public are going to fully trust them..we should expect faster wear on some items due to the way the cars are set up and/or driven but some of these cars require close to £2000 a year on maintenance which is out of many peoples reach. This of course explain why there are so many 3 year old cars for sale at a bargain factory warranty.

If I were you I would get it looked at asap. Good luck

'96 164 Cloverleaf

Now a Mercedes CLK 430 Coupe.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166