Dogbone & Bush - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-05-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Help Dogbone & Bush

Not a pub

More a query - I'm going to swap the large bush from the dogbone link on my V6 with a polybush replacement.

I have heard it may increase transmitted vibration, but it's cheaper & should be easier to fit than an OEM bush.

3 things come out of this -

1. Does it matter which way round I align the 3 spokes in the bush?
I'm currently thinking of putting 1 spoke inline with the link as I believe the link acts in compression.

2. Will the engine just sit there when I remove the dogbone, or will it fall into the radiator?
As there are 3 mounts, I expect it to sit OK, but I wouldn't want to be surprised .

3 What torque should I apply when tightening the dogbone link bolts?
Or is it not critical.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Dogbone & Bush

Personally I would not go for Poly but if you mus then don't worry about how it is fitted, the link does act in compression but it wont make any difference to you. The standard bush comes preinstalled in the housing and it EASY to fit.

Engine will indeed just sit there when you remove old. When adjusting I suggest you adjust with no tension at all in the bush, get a cardisc for torque figures but I just made em nice and tight with a standard socket and wrench.

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 01-06-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Re: Dogbone & Bush

Thanks for the advice.
I changed the bush over the weekend, following the advice in one of the other forums- cut out the central rubber & then cut the steel sleeve on the original bush.

The powerflex bush went in very easily by hand with a tap on the worksurface to make sure both sides were well home. Since the Powerflex bush protrudes from the dogbone, it's a trickier to get into the mount. It went in OK once I'd shortened the link so I could get the small end over it's mount.

On driving there is a little more noise transmitted, mostly during acceleration, but it's not particularly noticeable & sounds kinda sporty anyway. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten on a motorway properly yet to see what noise is transmitted at speed.
(the only bit of the M5 I've been on has a 40 limit did get some interest from some guys in a Rover 200 convertible though not sure if they were impressed by the car or wanted a race )
A couple of things that surprise me are that the gearshift seems to be improved noticeably & the steering appears very slightly more precise.

I think a little adjustment is called for, to see if the noise is due to the link being overlong, but other than that I think I'm happy with it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

bush , dogbone