Looking at a 164... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 30-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Looking at a 164...

Spotted myself a little suprise today - a 164 3.0 (12v) sitting in a panelbeaters shop, with flat tyres & a look of having been there a while.
Turns out it belongs to the owner's teenage son, who inherited a later model jap hatch before the 164 was finished being repaired.

Seems it was picked up with a towbar imprint in the front bumper, a dinged front bumper/rad support panel & busted air condenser & radiator, he fixed it & it sat out the front of his workshop for 8 months unstarted...

Changed the flat battery & the old girl started on the first strike & settled to a nice idle. Motor sounds nice, body is superb except the fuel door is broken, new tyres, timing belt done about a month before it was pranged, rego ran out about a month ago. Has a general feel of having been looked after mechanicly & body wise, the interior looks as if it's been parked in the sun quite often though - leather is knackered & some of the plastic trims (rear speakers etc - nothing major) are warped slightly.

The problems are:
- the leather seats/interior are trashed (but i can deal with that )
- the ABS, brake?, battery & rear light indicator lights are all on on the dash, as was an orange lamp next to the temp gauge, which stayed low
- I haven't driven it yet...
- It's an auto (how bad is that compared to a manual trans?)
- climate control clicking (no probs - dash will probably get pulled for the new hifi anyway if i get it )

how's it sound for AUS$1500-$2000?

more Q's
- how hard is it to change the rear brake pads?
- where to get the metal gears for the air/c in australia? Cost?
- where do i start with the indicator lamps on the dash?
- where do I get a workshop manual?
- How reliable is the auto 'box? Does it ~really~ hamper that lovely motor ~that~ much to be unliveable?

Your opinions please, ladies & gentlemen, would be greatly appreciated, as would any advice.

Cheers all

164 restoration in progress...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

164TB, GT

Re: Looking at a 164...

..that much money would buy a nice roadworthy 164 around where i am.
as regards the warning lights, it's more often the sensors themselves than the item they're trying to warn you about, and often just bad connectors.

have a search around the site below though, you may find some answers to questions you don't even know you've got.. good luck!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166