164TS Master Cylinder. Bugger! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
146+164So Far!
Hmmm 164TS Master Cylinder. Bugger!

Came home courtesy of the AA last night as my master cylinder decided to put my clutch pedal verifiably beyond use.

It is my fault as I should have had it looked at months back when the warning signs started.

The pedal has sometimes failed to return to it's rest position. I was hoping it was just stiffness in the return mechanism of the pedal and have been hooking it back with my shoe.

But last night on the way home it wouldn't come back and stayed in gear flat to the floor. I hopped out and appologised to the car behind and asked the two blokes to give me a push up the kerb, which they graciously did.

I haven't got any budget for such things at the moment and could do without this. I imagine I will need a new master cylinder. Garage hasn't got back to me yet. Any ideas how much this might cost? I can't think of anything else it might be. I don't mind as it has done 120x k miles. Timing is a bit off though.

Ho hum.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 164TS Master Cylinder. Bugger!

This is not an unusual happening on a 164. The cause is air in the system. The steps to take(if required) are:-

Ckeck the fluid level.
If level is low look for leak in pipe connecting master cylinder to slave cylinder or at cylinders.
If level is OK, bleed the system at the slave cylinder (on top of the gearbox).
Remove dismantle and clean slave cylinder.
Renew slave cylinder.
Look to the master cylinder.
146+164So Far!
Re: 164TS Master Cylinder. Bugger!

Thanks for that. I was fairly certain that the cylinder had gone if that was what the problem indeed was.

The car was sent straight to the garage and a new cylinder was fitted at 82.00 and all is well again.

Thanks for the info.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164ts , bugger , cylinder , master