Living with a 164? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Re: Living with a 164?

Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers
But the V6 Super doesn't have any more extras than the TSpark Super. Which I didn't realise until seeing yours.
& which is slightly disappointing for me

Originally Posted by bigboy
I've got a 1991 2.0TS with 150k on it - bought for 200. She refuses to go wrong!
Likewise, my 1st 164 was an '89 V6 super, for 600. Had a blown headgasket when I got it, but other than that nothing went wrong.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

164TB, GT

I have two 164's that are running at the moment, a LHD '97 turbo and a '91 tspark. I have to say the early tsparks are a lovely drive, and i think i prefer them to the later cars. they're agile, quick and crisp like an alfa should be. like all 164's they need to be on fresh suspension or they'll feel sloppy, but they're about as reliable as an alfa can be, and all you really do with that engine is change the oil.

btw, i have another '91 tspark that's not on the road right now. you can take this if you want cos i'd like to see it go to an alfisti rather than be broken.. it was a lovely car in its day, but it does need some work as it's been sitting around for a while annyoying the parents..

AO Member

Hi everyone
I ran my 164 TS from 1997 to 2003 and put 140k miles on it. I can't part with it so it sits as sculpture at the moment still looking great with 196k in total on the clock.

I stripped 3rd gear once. my fault rather than the car? anyway I was able to run it for a good 12 months without it!

Look out for model differences and spec changes all over the place. I used a couple of dealers who were not bad really -at least they were keen, but even they had trouble identifying what was what.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the different engines in the TS. Mines a 1995cc but I believe there is also a 1992cc? I only know mines different because they booked it in for a cambelt only to find its chain driven.
I think the 1995cc is the "old" engine but I've also got the one piece headlights but not the big bumpers. An these are the bits I can see!

hope this helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , living