APB - 24v V6 Engine Hiss - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Auckland
Help APB - 24v V6 Engine Hiss HELP HELP !

Help ! Was cleaning the V-belt whells, and now the engine hisses ! what have I done ? new v-belt, cleaned and lightly buffed wheels, squealing tensioner ... grimace, but new one inbound....what in the blue blazes have I done ?

Is it : slipped exhaust cam ? I am opening the covers tomorrow morning....and praying. The guys at Andrew Simms Alfa in Auckland said nay.....but anything is possible.
Is it: The Cambelts bearings have decided that enough is enough ? I can afford new ones of these, they are way cheaper. Very interested at this point getting my paws on those cam guides.
Is it : broken intake gaskets ? This is a cheapie to replace, though hardly a doddle...its an all weekend job. The Alfa guys reckon its gas getting in somewhere and hissing as it does so....
Is it : broken gaskets somewhere else ? no idea - head gaskets - negative, no weeping. cam-cover gaskets - no idea, nothing to see....
Is it: the much patched intake manifold-airfilter boot ? I can now at long last buy a second hander from a wrecked 164 Super in Auckland.

Symptoms : The hiss becomes noticeably quieter as the car warms up...

Other things - maybe needs a new air filter, but that box is silent....

Please feel free to get back to me, I will listen to any and all suggestions...the car is not going to move an inch until I have solved this for good and all. Also have ordered a new V-belt tensioner sick of the whining.

Martin in Auckland

Last edited by deepshark; 07-04-09 at 20:30. Reason: wrong icon - need HELP !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

24v , apb , engine , hiss