is my wheel geomentry way out? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
is my wheel geomentry way out?

heading down to wiltshire on friday night i had a slight tyre issue, basically the inner edge of my nsf trye shredded wrapping itself around the brake caliper, on inspection i noticed athe other 3 were on the verge of doing the same.

all 4 tyres have worn badly on the inner edge, not the tread but right on the corner edge of the tyre, down to the metal. the tread is fine but the edge has gone completely.

are they rubbing on something? or is my geometry way out causing wear?

i only had new brakes done 6 weeks ago so this damage is a recent thing so im not guilty of abusing my tryes or running illegal tyres .

they are 225/45 17 on the replica sport alloys.

see the rant room for my rant on how useless the AA were
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Re: is my wheel geomentry way out?

I dont think they are rubbing on anything other than the road surface.I reckon the bushes/knuckes springs/shockies.
Just a guess tho.
AO Silver Member
County: -

I've just replaced my two front tyres which were just past the wear guide. However, they had both worn evenly to my amazement! Would definately get tracking checked along with wishbone/suspension components.
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire

i'd sugest tracking at the front, and lower wishbone joints at the rear. powerflex do bushes that replace the rose joints for about 50 all out - a lot cheaper than the 500 new wishbones cost!

oh, Unkle Munkle - top article in Auto italia, those wheels just look fantastic on the 166 (as does the whole car)

i want a set for my 166 so badly, but cant really afford them at the moment.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

get the car on a 4 wheel alingment jig my car was way out but the fronts were inline and the tyre guys dident get what was happening till i had a four wheel check as the back is ajustable on the 166
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria

I agree with everyone else. there is probably something wrong with it. How much tread was left on the outside and centre of each tyre when the inner edge was bald? I think 166s are supposed to wear the inside edges of their front tyres out first - maybe the rears too, but by the time the inner edge is bald, the rest of the tyre should be pretty close to the tread wear indicators. Normally, lots of negative camber (wheels leaning inwards at the top) or lots of toe-out (harder to see visually but instead of being parallel in plan view, both tyres trying to steer outwards) can cause wear on the inner edges.

I think it's essential that you establish the cause BEFORE you cash out on a 4 wheel alignment check if at all possible. If you have the wheels re-aligned and then find that the wear was due to (say) a worn out track rod end or some other suspension joint, you'll only have to get it done again once the part has ben replaced. On the otehr hand, a good 4 wheel alignment check ought to be able to help spot which corner(s) is/are giving the problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

geomentry , wheel