166 v6 turbo starting/running problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-03-09 Thread Starter
County: Zachodniopomorskie

Member car:

166 2.0TB

166 v6 turbo starting/running problem

Just bought a new toy for me, 99' 166 2.0 turbo.

I knew it was faulty before i got it, but i decided to give it a shot.

Its feels weird when driving. Sometimes it takes of really nice, but other times it just wont go (i press the pedal, and there is a 1s time before it actually starts off).

I also had a problem starting it twice. It spins, but wont start or it will start and eventually die. I already killed the battery twice. When i managed to get it going after randomly disconnectinc airflow sensor, water temp sensor and butterfly valve it ran well under one of those combinations but had no will to rev. It was going to 1.5KRPM, no more.. Then i managed to start it, and it was running very smooth, but did not rev at all. And after that it started, but threw a lot of some liquid from its exhaust. Didnt check what it was, probably fuel that didnt detonate and i did try to start it hell of a lot times.

Before i start randomly replacing half of the car... Anyone got any clues?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Re: 166 v6 turbo starting/running problem

Maf i reckon but not sure it seems to be alittle fragile on the 166
some one who knows will be along in a sec
AO Member

Most probably MAF....but could be other things..O2 sensors..coil pack..Throttle body...get it scanned...
AO Silver Member
County: Glasgow

We are mostly in the UK here and the 2.0L turbo was never sold here so I think our knowledge of those engines will sadly be quite limited.

Is it the petrol of diesel version?

Cheers Stuart
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 20-03-09 Thread Starter
County: Zachodniopomorskie

Member car:

166 2.0TB

Its a 2.0 V6 turbo, petrol. I sorted out no start problem. My fuel gauge lies or the fuel pump cant reach the fuel to pump it. I filled it 1/3 and it strted without any problem and runs ok.

Idle RMP still jump about 700-900 when warm, i know it wont idle like a bee cause its a v6, but i think it could run better.

Also, i found a leak. Theres an air tube(the big one) going from the air filter(and MAF later on) to throttle body, and theres a smaller one (like 2,5-3 cm diameter, that is like an inch or 1,5 just after MAF), it was glued and the glue broke, theres a smal crack. Did try to duct tape it, but its really hard to reach without unmounting any other stuff and i didnt have much time. So i just taped it, but with a little or no effect. The tape keeps coming off.

I went to an engine diagnosis, they hook it up and there were two errors, one said about MAF and the other was about lambda probe. They guy said these can cause/affect each other. Maybe its the crack after the MAF that throws an error.

Will investigate more.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , problem , starting or running , turbo