Noisy 166 Sportronic - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 03-03-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

Noisy 166 Sportronic

The final drive in my 166 sportronic has slowly developed a whining sound, most noticeable under 70 kph, on smooth roads. We changed the oil in the ZF transmission, and nothing untoward came out like iron filings or anything. With the new oil in place though, it is still sings when accelerating, but is silent when the foot is lifted. The pitch does not change as the gears change. In every way the transmission is smooth and generally does as it is told.

I have had the car over two years, and done around 25000km in it, with the only fault being an air-flow sensor, that was fixed under a warranty I bought, when I got the car used from a dealer. Although its only a 3-litre, it gets up and goes just as well as all the 4 & 5 litre Holdens and Falcons around here, just as long as I am prepared to give it a few more revs than a Holden or Ford would be happy with.

Lovely car, although the ride can be pretty choppy on some of New Zealand's not-very-smooth roads.

ANyone got a cause or cure for the whiney trans, short of changing the whole thing ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Noisy 166 Sportronic

are u sure it's tranny and not diff noise or tyre noise???

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , noisy , sportronic