2.0 ts What to do for the best?
After getting my oil changed at the local garage they did a compression test as they had noticed a slight misfire at idle, 1,3,4 were fine at 150psi(ish) but number 2 was down to 50psi(ish), after a bit of oil down the plug hole the compression came upto 150psi confirming ring trouble.
Now as far as I see it I have 5 options
1. Sell it and cut my losses (I dont want to)
2. Get the pistions re-ringed and I have been quoted £600 by a engine reconditioners.
3. New recon engine @ £1200 supplied and fitted with a 12 month warranty (nearly as much as the car cost me)
4. Second hand engine (about £300 plus fitting)
5. Take a warranty out and run it til it breaks and then claim on the warranty. (Warranty is £600 but covers nearly everything inc wear and tear)
If I had done the oil change myself I would never have found out about this problem and would have never noticed it. All I have is a slightly uneven idle, bottom end, mid range and top end performance are spot on. It does now have a oil leak which I assume is caused by the compression being forced by the piston!
What to do