Brembo Caliper Stripped Connector Hose Thread - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Brembo Caliper Stripped Connector Hose Thread

When doing the spring, CV boot and brake splicing as per rumbling cv I had to take the Brembo Caliper off and get it out the way.

The hose came off no problem as was expecting it to go on the same way.

I had bother getting the thread started and on closer examination I saw that the majority of the upper thread was stripped.

I managed to get the hose back in and secure and doesnt appear to leak BUT will keep an eye on it as well as my splice.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you resolve it?
Is it possible to retap with a bigger thread and get a suitable hose?
Can you helicoil it or is it replacement caliper time.

"Don't follow me,Follow the Highway Code "
Sponsored Links
Re: Brembo Caliper Stripped Connector Hose Thread

Hi. I wouldn't normally answer this because I'm not certain that I am correct (and it really annoys me when people just "guess" at technical answers and have not posted from personal experience, so please disregard this post if you think it may be in the same category). FWIW, what follows is based on my experience on other cars over the years.

Anyway, here goes:

You may not have a problem here. Hydraulic unions are not always threaded right up to the edge of the hole, but are bored out for a clearance on the thread for a little way - maybe 5mm or so if my memory serves me correctly. I think this is because it helps to align the hose fitting in the hole before the rather vulnerable fine thread is engaged.

If it is not too much of a pain in the backside, I'd have a careful look into the hole again to try to determine if the thread has actually stripped or if it was never there (although the top of the hole could look like it might have been threaded if the hose fitting had left its own marks on the inside as it was screwed in previously. You should also assess how much thread is actually present - it doesn't take much force (or thread) to properly nip up a union if there's a taper seal as I'm sure you know.

OTOH this is the brakes... Don't know if thread inserts are available but if the uion relies on a taper seal at the bottom, I have my doubts whether an insert will do the job. Others will have better info, no doubt.

AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

147 1.9JTD

Re: Brembo Caliper Stripped Connector Hose Thread

The union tip should be tapered, that is the sealing face of the connection (others types would use a copper washer to seal), I dont think there would be any problem with fitting a helicoil (tread insert). If that worries you then find your local machine shop and ask them to do it for you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

brembo , caliper , connector , hose , stripped , thread