Ball-joint alternative to replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 31-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng
Ball-joint alternative to replacement

Hi all,

has anyone seen something like this before:
<> (local repair outfit in JHB)
<> (nu-tech website)

I've heard good things about the Wingate outfit, but I doubt they will warantee heavy load bearing joints. Despite this, two guys at work have tried exactly that (one an old BMW and another on an old Merc) and it does seem to last: handling problem solved 100&#37; and doing 110 000km on the Merc so far with no degradation in handling.

The main consideration is the fairly cheap cost. Repairs are undertaken in-situ on the car, so there is minimal labour component. I doubt that this treatment would result in catastrophic damage or failure for steel joints, neither would it result in adverse wear, compared to the pre-treated condition. At the very least, it may tide you over until you can afford (!) a major suspension overhaul. So it would appear to be a no brainer for those on a budget.

I do have the beginnings of play on some of the joints, so eventually they'll need work. This type of repair does not include or work on rubber bushings (like the bushings that Powerflex replaces), so you will have to remove the entire arm to replace those.

Has anyone tried something like this to repair 166 ball joints? Do the joints themselves have existing grease nipples? Thoughts ?

The same place makes low-dust brake pads (and rotor discs) for any vehicle in existance (presumably reverse-engineering pads and rotor discs on demand). Pads do pass SANS safety regulations; so no, they are not cardboard but they are probably not likely to be ultra high performance either. As they say in South Africa: "local is lekker" (and cheap).

And no, I have absolutely no connection to this or any other product, but I'm keen on alternative repairs for what amounts to an "import" or "special" where I am.

When I have the suspension done in a couple of months, I'll post results.

Last edited by Bob222; 31-12-08 at 09:29.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

alternative , balljoint , replacement