164 headlight question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Ontario

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 164S

164 headlight question

Just a quick question...

Are the newer 164 ( projector style ) headlights, adjustable between LHD and RHD?

Also, are they a direct swap to cars with the older ( reflector ) style headlights?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Re: 164 headlight question

Apparently yes – I sold some RHD new type 164 headlamps to a guy in the US on ebay. I pointed out that they were UK spec but he said this was not a problem and he had converted a number of units to LHD. I've no idea what the conversion entails!

I wished I’d kept them as I now have a 1990 164 with the old style lights and I could have swapped them out for the new ones!
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria

I think the later headlights aren't as tall as the earlier ones so you'd need some sort of filler strip to take up the gap betwen the top of the bumper and the bottom of the lens. Don't know about converting to dip on the other side though. On the old ones, I think it's a combination of the orientation of the bulb and the lens design. Filing the bulb holder to twist the bulb the other way might get you most of the way there.
County: New Hampshire

Member car:

164 , GTV6

Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
Just a quick question...

Are the newer 164 ( projector style ) headlights, adjustable between LHD and RHD?

Also, are they a direct swap to cars with the older ( reflector ) style headlights?

Thanks in advance!
You need to disassemble the headlight and change the blocking plate so rather than the light beam sloping up to the left it slopes up to the right or doesnt climb at all.
I have done one and to be honest it is A LOT cheaper to buy LHD units than convert the RHD ones. Save yourself the time.
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Hi Avocet

If you look at the bottom of the facelift h/lighs you will see they have a filler strip thats body coloured to the car, so you can exchange straight over, the filer is held on with allen head bolts so you can remove to spray if needed.

The wiring is slightly different, but there are a number of posts on Alfa digest explaining how to do it.

They do throw a lot more light for night driving
AO Member

Changing the dip is not that difficult and you also get the opportunity of cleaning the inside of the lenses. Second hand RH dip headlamps are pricey and don't even think about new ones!

Just remove the filler strip from one side and place on other. Very small holes on the blocking plate bar and larger ones on the filler strip to take very small self-tappers will do the trick. It works for GTV (915), 155 and 164 (facelift). In fact it also works for FIAT Barchetta and most of the projector Valeo units with clear lenses as far as I know.

Mia Bianca! I love her and not yet 30,000kms. I just can't let go! But if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse..................
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

164TB, GT

..i converted the headlights on the '97 TB from LHD to RHD, based on advice that "you just flip around the plate".

it wasn't quite as easy as all that, and in retrospect it was probably just pot luck that the result ended up producing an accurate beam.

it's do-able alright, but if i was doing it again i'd probably just keep an eye out for a pair from a breakers...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , headlight , question