Wing indicator. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 04-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Wing indicator.

I already have converted my my headlamps to run HID's on both dipped and main beam up front on my Super.

The rears are LED's already.

I'm converting the side indicators in the wings to LED's to totally modern up the look of the old girl.

Onlt thing is, how do you remove the bulbs from the wing mounted indicators. Do you have to remove it from the inner side of the wing?

Just wanted to check before getting soaked in the driveway removing the wheels and inner arches!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Glasgow
Re: Wing indicator.

Is it possable that information is in the Owners manual? It tells you how to replce some of the bulbs?
Admin Team
County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

I did this last week (also bought some LED stop/tail bulbs - see my thread here (LED tail/brake/indicator bulbs)).

You need to push the indicator lens backwards (or was it forwards ) as it is clipped onto the wing with a springy bit of metal.
Once out, the bulb comes away from the rear with a twist.

Let me know what type of LED bulb you get for the front indicators if they're any good, the ones I got were far too dim so I didn't leave them in and got a refund.
AO Member

For my 166 LED conversion project I used the products of

I replaced the lamps of the side indicators with amber 15-LED type 7440-A15 LED's. The result is great though the backside of the side indicator needed quite some rework.

The front indicators were replaced with 1156-xLX5 Luxeon LED Bulbs Amber. The result is the typical LED on / off. The amount off light is less than the original bulb. The "lamp" foot also required rework. One small locator pin had to be removed since both pins were in the middle line of the "lamp" foot where they should be out off line. I also installed RL-650 Load resistors across the LED since their power consumption is too low for the indicator relay.

At the rear I replaced the outside rear / brake lamps one to one with the 1157-xLX5 Luxeon LED Bulbs Red. No rework required. The inside lamps, in the boot lid I replaced with the same 1157-xLX5 LED's. Some rework was required. A bigger hole in the reflector, insulate the contact for the brake light and remove 1 small locator pin on the "lamp" foot. The result is great. Bright rear lights and direct on / off brake lights.

In the third brake light I relaced the 10 small bulbs with red LED's. Quite a lot of rework of the lamp housing was required.
AO Silver Member
County: Glasgow

We use Super birght LEDS at work. Some of them are so powerful they are capable of tanning your skin faster to a tanning bed!
AO Member
County: Surrey

Some pictures would be good of this as it is something I have thought about doing, I think it would bring the car a little more up to date and look pretty cool as well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

indicator , wing