166 3.0v6 24v Vs 164 QV 24v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
166 3.0v6 24v Vs 164 QV 24v

Just thinking out loud really ,but is the 166 24v ,with 226 BHP ,in the same state of tune as the 164 Cloverleaf 24v with 232 BHP?Same engine?IIRC ,the only difference between the 164 QV and super was the size of the inlet headers ,so presumable the 166 has the 164 QV size inlets?Otherwise ,we could fit the QV headers to a 166 and get close to 250bhp?
Just speculating ,as I happen to have a set of 164QV headers lying around......
I dont imagine it will be that easy ,and presumably Alfa made the 166 engine to Cloverleaf spec to counteract the extra weight of the 166 over the 164?
It would be nice though!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: 166 3.0v6 24v Vs 164 QV 24v

They're sort of the same, they share the same intake runners, so no gains to be made there. I don't know exactly what the differences are, but they have different engine management, so probably different maps. They'll also have a different exhaust setup as emissions regs will have been tightened since the 164. I think I read here the other day that the timing belt setup is ever so slightly different.
Re: 166 3.0v6 24v Vs 164 QV 24v

Timing belt/tensioner and oil pump arrangements are really quite different, along with the position of the thermostat at opposite ends of the engine. Accessory belt is also routed differently with the alternator on opposite sides of the block (at the front in a 164 but at the rear on the 166). Numerous differences in breather arrangements, ignition coil drivers, air flow components and throttle body etc., etc and probably loads I havent mentioned. Then there's the gearbox...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , 166 , 24v