I know, cLoverleaf, sorry.
Although the 164 is by no means finished, I have reached an important point in the proceedings, here is an update I promised 3 or 4 months ago,
For the benefit of the few that escaped my tale of despair here is a very short recap,
I had decided in January this year that I would get the 164 Cloverleaf sorted, it’s been a great car but it needed livening up in the horsepower department, and a few other things needed attention,
I set out a 6 month plan/budget of all the work that would need to be done and even gave myself goals each month to achieve (which I did), by the beginning of June other than the re-spray that was planned for the end of June, all was pretty much done.
It felt great to drive, so much so that I was taking the long way to work, 24 miles as opposed to less than 2, I wanted to be sure the engine was run in properly and the long way to work was a million times more fun than the boring route through Leicester, a good drive early morning is quite invigorating and clears the head ready to tackle a busy day at work, so all was fine and dandy, or so I thought.
Here’s a list of some of the bits done…
• V6 Cloverleaf motor out of D164 ALF and completely stripped again
• Replaced 6 pistons
• Totalseal gapless rings
• Colombo & Bariani medium road cams,
• All new shells and oil pump (crank was ground last year 0 miles on it)
• Heads refurbished & skimmed
• New clutch & slave cylinder
• The excellent Q2 diff
• Motor out of my daily 164 Cloverleaf over the Mayday B/H weekend
• And the freshly built motor back in and hooked up that week end
• 16 inch Spider/GTV wheels, new F1’s
• Denso Iridium plugs
• CG Locks
• I won’t bore you with any more
June the 6th and disaster struck in the form of being hit in the side by a rover 25 one morning on the way to work, in the blink of an eye I had 4 months work ahead just to get to where I had already been. Not in the least bit funny.
Suffice to say I had put quite a bit of time and effort into getting my Alfa the way I wanted it mechanically, and the new paint would have finished the car off. now it was written off instead.
When it all had to come apart again it gave me a chance to do a few things that didn’t happen first time around, making a positive out of a negative sort of thing.
I was now having to role reverse my Cloverleaf’s, using the ruins of my original 164 c/leaf (D164 ALF) as the base car, which unfortunately had been left out in the yard for a couple of years, during which I had robbed it many times for spares to “feed” its successors hunger, and the one that had received so much attention for 5 short months, has now become a skeleton of its former self.
D164 ALF now has all the above work transferred to it with a few additions,
• Autodelta headers and extractor system fitted,
• From headers and down to the cat: is carbon impregnated exhaust wrapped for better exhaust flow,
• O2 sensor,
• A much better front sub-frame (I managed to bend my other one),
• New brakes all round, with “Grooved & dimpled” on the front, and Black Diamond Drilled on the rear,
• Front drop-links
• Lots more without doubt
It’s pretty damn quick now, and the Q2 diff was well worth the extra bucks, so I may just enjoy it as it is (for a bit).
I am waiting for a delivery of some Pulstar plugs (Pulse type) from the States, not sure about these yet, I’ve read varying reviews but if the manufacturer’s bumph is to be believed they show dyno readouts of various cars all with improvements in the HP, Torque and MPG figures, we’ll soon see.
I’ve still got quite a few boxes of PowerFlex bushes to fit, rear suspension (front already done), and top engine stabilizer, not jobs to look forward to but they have to be done.
Ideally I want all mechanical work to be finished within the next couple of months, so it can settle before the paint is done, and here comes my next dilemma, which red should I have?
As you may have gathered I’m not a purist (sorry), so although it has to be a red, there are some great colours on the new Alfas, a 159 parked opposite the AROC gazebo at Stanford Hall this year caught my eye, and if I can remember where I put the paint code (luckily, its boot was open already) we shall probably give it a go.
MOT and TAXed!
D164 ALF lives again!!!
Thanks to Dave at Intaservices for all his help, use of the workshops, putting up with my moaning, loan car etc.
Dave French & Kirt at Engine Services,
Clive at Avon Racing,
But most importantly of all, big thanks to my wife Ali for letting me “go down the garage” constantly, and for letting me for the 1st week of our 2 week break “go down the garage” while she decorated (I did help a bit with this, honest), and for putting up with me screwing every last little horse power out of her Suzuki SX4 when we go anywhere.
Will keep you posted