166 front brakes bleeding - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 166 2.0l ts

166 front brakes bleeding

for anybody who has had experience changing the front pads on a alfa 166 2l ts , if you change the front brake pads do you have to bleed all brakes front and back as i have bled the front after changing and still seems spongey
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

166 F/L TS Ti

Re: 166 front brakes bleeding

I know on mine, with the 4 pot calipers there are 2 bleed points on the caliper, for each side. Don't know it the twinies have those or not, but if you do then you need to do both sides. But if you have only changed the pads you shouldn't have had to bleed the brakes, just pushed the pistons back into the calipers, then once reassebled pumped the brakes a couple of times to re-seat the pads with pistons.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa GT, 156

New pads sometimes need to bed in, especially if your discs aren't completely flat or are scored - this gives the pedal a spongey feel. It should only take a few miles of braking to sort out though.
As marktodd said, you shouldn't need to bleed brakes after a pad change. I just changed discs and pads all round on my car last weekend and all that's needed is for the caliper pistons to be pushed or wound back to get the new pads in.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

the twinks just have poverty spec boggo calipers - not the fancy pants brembos. It sounds like your bleeding hasn't worked and air has got in as even with the bedding it the pedal shouldn't be spongy...get hold of a pressure/vacuum bleeder - saves many hours of faffing about!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , bleeding , brakes , front