How you bought you 166? (unabridged) - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Berlin
Re: How you bought you 166? (unabridged)

Originally Posted by stu_the_flat View Post
We did a good few miles with him driving. me in the passenger seat listening for bangs and clunks with a stethoscope!

Originally Posted by stu_the_flat View Post
Would you drive a car that your not familiar with uninsured?
Good point. If I was the seller, I certainly wouldn't want an uninsured person to drive it!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 31 Old 10-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Glasgow

To be honest I don't want to be in front of the judge explaining how the brakes LOOKED OK!
AO Silver Member
County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

Well my journey to a 166 was a natural one, i crashed my 156 (nearly cried i was so gutted) with the money i bought the first 166 i saw. I had decided after my accident that i would buy an Alfa whatever, looking at the 156's there were just the same as the one i had crashed (which is obvious) i wanted something a little more... at that point my wife was pregnant, and so the consideration of a SW came into play and back out again as she didn;t like it, so i thought " i wonder what a 166 really looks like" (having only seen one in the flesh!) i did my research, and then phoned up a local bloke and said can i come and see one in the flesh, i turned up and loved it, went back a couple of days later with the wife for a test drive (and to check the baby seat would fit!) and bought it.
paid quite a bit for it, loking at todays prices, but i'll never sell it...(unless someone offers me enough for me to buy a better one which they wouldn't!)
AO Member

Always been into Italian cars..My first car was an Alfasud in the UK..
1.2 ti but went like hell...Here in Lebanon , 166's are rare indeed..
Mine is the only one in my province..And I like exclusivity!! who doesn't?...Beemers and mercs are 10 a penny...X5's and Cayennes are everywhere...So a 166 is a natural choice and almost as stylish as a Modern Maserati....enough said...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

'So a 166 is a natural choice and almost as stylish as a Modern Maserati....enough said...'

That rear 3 quarter view of the dark, bodykitted 166 for sale on Jamie Porter's site has a touch of the new Quattroporte about it, as well as making the 166 appear smaller than it is.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

I had a 164 TS, then around the time the 166 was launched swapped it for a v6 155. I had been to the NEC motorshow & was not certain about the nose on the 166, although I liked the inside. It was way out of my price range then & the 164 had reached 100k so was time to swap (although with years of hindsight I should have just left the dealer network for servicing & trusted a local dealer).
The 155 was a trusty steed, & when the air con failed, I had a few issues with the track rod ends (which led me to then It seems that I was the first to have the problems & we all found out how few quick-rack 155 v6s were made & this made ePer think we needed different parts - Halfords got the right part from the 1.8 parts list after ordering a selection in & trying each one.
They forgot to fit a nonslip washer (which I found out the next year when the local Ford dealer......yes I know.....garage p155ed themselves).
Problem was the local Ford garage fitted the wrong TRE & just tightened the bolt to make it steady. When the tyres got worn on the inside, the local tyre place had a guy with a 164, and he told me exactly what had happened & didn't charge me - he told me to take it back to the Ford delear & give them a mouthful.

All this time, the 166 was growing on me, but the depreciation was soooo high, I couldn't see how I could afford to run one for my customary 3 or so yrs per car.

So, I bought an Explorer, and the 155 wouldn't leave me (I couldn't face px ing it, and couldn't sell it on no matter what). Eventually I dropped the 155 to £1k & sold it to one of the'rs for £not-a-lot.
Within a month, I crashed my Explorer (got it 100% repaired with ages guarantee), decided I wanted the 10% of life that the Explorer couldn't offer (v6 howl & sportiness) - the Explorer is still my 1st choice for a big 4x4 - and started looking for a v6 166.

I test drove a TS 166 & a TS 156 SW, decided that the 166 was better all round & worked out that only a 3.0 v6 manual Super Lusso would do.

Veloces had one soon after & it became mine. I dropped the explorer off & drove away in the luxury I still enjoy.

No regrets at any time with the 166 - the only compromise with it is that the rear seats don't drop down for big loads.

Sorry for the big post

Waiting for an Alfa version of a Maserati Quattroporte

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , bought , unabridged