166 driving abroad - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
166 driving abroad

hi everyone does anybody know if there are any levers you can tweek on the 166 headlights to switch them over to driving on the right and side so you wont dazzle on coming traffic in europe thanks toscana
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 166 driving abroad

As far as I know there are no levers to tweak the 166 headlights for continental use. The old fashion way is to tape off the glass incorporated wedge in the headlight glass with black insulation tape. Since the 166 has clear headlight glasses the job will be more difficult. Try the following: Positon your car in front of a wall and switch on the low beam headlights. Each headlight will project a light pattern with an upgoing slope on the wall. (In your case to the left) Try to apply black tape in a wedge form on each clear headlight glass in such a way that the upgoing slope is eliminated i.e. the projection of each headlight is a straight line.
AO Silver Member
County: Wicklow

there is an option for the xenons, but my indie couldn't find it - I guess I was the first to ask:-)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.5

If you don't have xenons I don't see how you could possibly dazzle anybody.

All Italian cars I have ever known from Fiat 124s onwards seem to use candles in place of bulbs :-)
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

The traditional way to convert a UK car for continental driving is to stick black insulation tape on the lights between the positions 7 and 9 O'clock.

This doesn't work on the 166 because the lights are the modern complex multi lens type and there isn't an obvious place to stick the tape.

Certain manufacturers claim to produce deflectors that work with these modern lenses. I bought one on the boat to France and although it claimed the 166 as one of the models covered it is a bunch of bullsh1t.

Their only real use is as Gendarme deflectors.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , abroad , driving