Air Con question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 TS

Air Con question

Hi guys, yet another air con question (must be the time of year). My air con stopped working abruptly last week, it's a 2005 low mileage TS FL 166. I've taken it into Mango's and it was out of gas. They found a small hole in one of the pipes to the compressor and have ordered a new pipe. So far, so simple. Now the problem, to fit the new pipe, they say that they have to take the front bumper off and removing/re-fitting that is two hours labour, so the cost of fitting and re-gassing is 300! It looks, to me, that dropping the undertray would be sufficient. Anyone got any experience of this?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Glasgow
Re: Air Con question

Well saying the aircon has no pressure in it you have nothing to loose by getting your screw driver out and doing some of the work your self. Although I have no exsperince of removing the bumper.

Working with pipes that have to hold high pressure through narrow gaps sounds like a very fiddly job. most times I find its quicker to gain proper access to what I'm working on rather than swear alot down a narrow hole!

Cheers Stuart
AO Gold Member
County: South Lanarkshire

If you check out my pictures in the oil cooler thread in the stu haynes manual you will see what you see with the bumper off....I reckon it's a requirement to remove the bumper as you can see the air con radiator sandwicked between the normal radiator and the oil cooler....Mines are rough too.....If it is these pipes then got to remove bumper... dont know where they got the 2 hours removal and refitting BUT go for it as you'll see in my post it is a swine of a job if it has not been recently removed.

"Don't follow me,Follow the Highway Code "
AO Member

The qouted price sounds very reasonable to me. I wouldn´t want to do it myself for that money! Besides, if the workshop do it you can always complain if something goes wrong. Much better than having yourself to blame.......

Go for it!
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey

It sounds like the pipe that is damaged is the same one that broke on my 156 ... to answer your question, (well for a 156 anyway) it is possible to get to it by removing the undertray only ... but it is very tricky and you have to have arms/fingers like golum to get to it ...

edit: also I think I removed the front grill ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

air , con , question