Torque Converter bolt loose - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 20-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Canterbury
Torque Converter bolt loose

Bought a second hand 166, 3.0 litre eng plus 4 speed sportronic gearbox, 2004 model done only 35,000km, a week ago. Beautiful car and fantastic drive. Trip computer said that, for the previous 11,000 km, the previous owner has averaged 47 km/hr. Bit of a waste of car I thought.

Drove it 500 km that day. Put it in the garage that night and as I was about to switch off I heard a tapping or rattle from the engine. Turned off but thought I would restart to check out the noise. No Start. Engine locked solid.

Engine and tranny now removed. Found one of the bolts holding the torque converter (TC) onto the flywheel had dropped out and, after rattling around in the bell housing, jammed between ring gear and starter motor. Wrecked the starter motor (broke the pinion and the motor housing). The crunch had caused the locating peg for where the TC mounts onto the gearbox spline to break off so the TC is pretty sick also.

Does anybody know whether these units have done this before. TC mounting bolts should never come loose. The only reason it lasted 35k is probably because, at an ave of 47km/hr, the engine had never broken a sweat. To me it seems it could only be an assembly fault and Alfa should
1 pay for for the repairs and
2 find out whether it has a habit of happening i.e. is it recall material.

Be interested in your views
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Re: Torque Converter bolt loose

Hi bob,#never heard of this before.
Even if manufacturing default in UK law Alfa not responsible as they didn't sell it to you. Its either the dealer or seller, hard to prove I suspect.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

bolt , converter , loose , torque