164 People - what are the expensive things to put right? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Auckland
Re: 164 People - what are the expensive things to put right?

Ok - my experiences over the years....
8V Twinsparks
-Nasty habit of not idling properly after a while. fix : entertaining use of a paperclip as a coil-spring on the throttle-body.
-Sparks of flame ! Every 100,000km's (50,000mls approx) replace them...a painful job....

12V V6's
-Death of internal electric motors
-Do NOT over-rev until toasty ! slipped cogs etc. My own experience is to wait for 15 mins until th entire engine is warm, the thermo says that temp is approx 40 deg C. The you can wring its nuts off....but not before !

24V V6's
Having just recovered from the dreaded water pump issue, here's my 2c worth:
-Replace the pump and belts ! Bosch (thank the Good Lord) actually make both Cam-belt and V-belt, so do both. Saves time. All up NZ$ 600 = US$300 = GBP 150 approx. Once done - the engine nothing but growl, and displays not other nasty habits or dreadful noises
-Do the brakes. I did....totally worth it SO pricey. should be done once every 15 years or so, so over time its very cheap, but not at the the time ! watch out for squeel - judicious i.e. ludicrously dripping use of brake cleaner is recommended.
- If you have a cloverleaf QV, apparently they all have a nose-down squat - if you feel paranoid about this, get new springs - I an working on this at the moment, don't know how bad this is going to be for me, and I may be needlessly paranoid

Aside from this.....treat the Alfa with care, grease the points every 6 months, and not much else tends to go overly wrong. I keep my baby in a garage, clean it, grease it with a teaspoon, and spot probs as often as possible.

re the dash lights in a 24V - this is hilarious - simply tap the dashboard ! it tends to bring them back from the dead.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

A working LCD display from a 164 24v QV went on eBay a week or two back for 220. If you care about that part, get a good one in the first place!
AO Member

Member car:

Mito QV

the little bit above the fuel tank, just close enough to the rear seatbelt mounts to be an mot fail if it rusts. Killed mine!

sunroof button sets roof on fire? Thats a bad one too!

Well worth it though, I want another one!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , expensive , people , put , things